Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dangerous ground
22-Dec-2003, 11:22 PM
Dangerous ground
Martin, I realize that you have a problem amongst out ranks that you need to deal with. Let me be the first to say that the solution will no doubt be far from easy. However (being the instigator of the thread that you have removed) I feel that I cannot agree with your approach. It was raised in good faith and in keeping with the spirit of the forum. Why should all the genuine contributers to the thread be barred from expressing their views because of one person?

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Dec-2003, 03:07 AM

I feel it should be moved, or maybe rather edited ,because of the personal insults emanating from a certain non-person which are directed at Forum members who have become close friends.
It upsets me to read the comments made by you know who and I would not like to read them again.
It was however an interesting thread and it would perhaps be a pity to remove it in its entirety in my view.
LG
23-Dec-2003, 09:20 AM

Maybe having a "Eleven line filter option" (ELFO) whereby any messages longer than 11 lines were instantly torched would solve the problem??
23-Dec-2003, 04:22 PM

I participate in a couple of Google newsgroups that are completely un-moderated. The amount of "flaming" that goes on in one of them is unbelievable.

As far as I'm concerned, Martin, feel free to edit out any postings that are attacks on other members.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
23-Dec-2003, 08:21 PM

The topic in question hasn't been deleted. I have moved it to a private area until it's been cleaned up a bit. I will put it back soon.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-Dec-2003, 08:32 PM

I joined this group-the only one I have participated in, at a time of need for contact with others of similar interests.
Other groups I was amazed at because of the flaming and were not for me.
However I do not mind reading the views of others on any subject including politics and have learned a lot.
Perhaps we have been lucky so far to have been relatively free from anyone who has been bent on changing the tone of this forum.
LG
23-Dec-2003, 09:03 PM

Martin, How can I put this without sending out the wrong message? I just wish that I had been able to discuss this face to face with you over the top of a pint pot in the Eagle and Child, but that is not possible (as stated in another thread).
First of all let me spell this out very slowly. I am 150% on your side of the fence and in no way to I wish to fall out with you over the actions that you have taken. However I feel that by removing the thread `to a safe place`, you are shooting both yourself and the forum in the proverbial foot. Have you `thrown out the baby with the bathwater?
You say that it will return when you have cleaned it up. That is your right as moderator of this forum, but the `dangerous ground` I spoke of is the danger of you acting as God, Big Brother and Judge and Jury , all rolled into one. The danger is that it will no longer be an `open forum` for the majority of reasonable, fair minded adult people. The thread you removed was read over 100 times and generated 40 plus replies. I think it`s fair to suppose you would be delighted if every thread bore such fruit.
With respect I must point out that this problem has been festering for several months now and should have been dealt with long ago.
That`s it. It`s now off my chest. It`s far better, I feel, to let people know your true feelings rather than to suppress them and let them eat away.
I hope you all have a very happy Christmas and that the forum will flourish in the New Year, when we can all chat together in harmony (well, at least for most of the time). Very Best Wishes to you all. Jim

Jim
24-Dec-2003, 05:18 AM

I look forward to the New Year and new beginnings and wish everyone all the best for 2004.
Take care in whatever you do.[8D]
LG
24-Dec-2003, 10:30 AM

thanks LG all best wishes to you too xxx

Love and LightHayley