Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fox lane - School Trip to Dunoon - photo
25-Apr-2004, 12:26 AM
Fox lane - School Trip to Dunoon - photo
In the third form at Fox Lane (Spring of 1953 I think), the school organized a week-long holiday in Dunoon for 3rd and 4th forms. We went by train from Leyland to Glasgow, then to Largs. We crossed to Dunoon on a paddle-steamer and walked to our boarding house.

Francis Turner was on hand at Leyland station to record the group prior to departure.
[center][Image: schools-Fox-lane-Dunoon-trip.jpg]
[/center]
Well, I made it fit the page, but I'm less than happy with the picture quality. I guess it's good enough to make out most people.

Here goes with identifications - unfortunately, it's a bit difficult getting the rows defined:

Adults in back:
Miss Wayne (4A teacher), Miss Johnson (3A), Mr. Young (3B), Mr. Hewitson (4B)

Headmaster, Mr. Fenton on left side

Pupils, Back row:
??, ??, Chris?, Bert Dickinson,??

Next row down:
Bill Hodge (in front of Bert), ??

Next row down:
John Crawshaw (?), ??, Roger Houghton(?), ??, ??, ??, Me(Far right)

Next row down:
Frank Parr, - don't remember the other three

Next row (girls)
Can't remember any of them

Front row (standing):
??, Susan Threlfall, Christine Holmes, Sheila Longton, ??, ??

Front row seated:
??, Sheila Platt, Jean Walsh

I hope other folks can get the ones I can't remember. Feel free to copy this to the School Pictures folder, Martin.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
25-Apr-2004, 10:22 AM

I prefer this type personally Frank, it's much easier to view and makes replying in a more compact message box. The box seems to expand with the larger images. It's a very good photo I don't know what you are unhappy with.
25-Apr-2004, 04:56 PM

Frank, I have no connection whatsoever with Fox Lane, however I would just like to complement you on the presentation of the photo ( and like Noel) think you should leave it at that, because it`s brilliant.

Jim
25-Apr-2004, 05:07 PM

I have a small contribution to make to schools in Leyland (although I`m not sure it`s interesting enough to display).
I was one of four people to walk from Carnforth to Redcar in aid of the new school building fund for St. James` (now on Slater lane). My daughter attended the old school that was held up by wooden props.

Does anyone remember that walk? (please say `yes` ROFL.

Jim
26-Apr-2004, 03:31 PM

Hi Frank. A long time since the picture, lot's of water under various bridges since then!

I am amazed on two levels (a) that I was in fact looking at the very same picture last week during an infrequent touch of nostalgia and wondering who they all were other than myself. Got the event etc, but the names completely escaped me, (b) that you are in fact able to put names to significantly more youthful faces circa 50 years later! Regrettably I cannot help you further, my school years at Fox Lane and Balshaw's were not events which I found desireable to commit to memory!

I still visit Leyland, usually en route to various odd developing parts of the world and because my mother still lives there, catching up with Ivy Bannister!

I have read many of your postings on this site over time, and find their local history content to be most interesting. Of course I well-remember your family's shop, and I think your house after a visit to the fairground behind!

Anacortes eh! Nice spot, been in there a couple of times from Victoria BC. I eventually washed ashore on the E coast of Canada.

For anyone that might be interested, the only other old school photo
I have is the Balshaw's rugby team of around 1960 or whenever it was that I was in the Upper 6th.

Cheers

Bert(aka Tony)...??
26-Apr-2004, 09:49 PM

Fur Seal,
Are you by any chance the older brother of Paul Dickinson?
I was in the same year as Paul at Fox Lane and Balshaw's.
Brian Forshaw
27-Apr-2004, 08:03 PM

The very same Brian! Pleased to hear from you. I know that you were both in the same group, and I believe also habituees of a certain agricultural establishment in the vicinity of Dunkirk Lane!

Regards

Tony
27-Apr-2004, 09:01 PM

Tony
My mum, who sadly died recently, used to be in touch with your mother and often spoke of her.
I remember many happy hours spent at the agricultural establishment down Paradise Lane with Paul.
Brian F.
P.S. I would be interested to hear news of your current lifestyle. I think my email address is included with my profile on this site.
27-Apr-2004, 11:46 PM

Hi Frank,

Great photo .. one more name.
Joan Watkinson ...second from the right on the second standing row from the front.

Joan lived at #13 (or #11a .. which ever you prefer!) Fox Lane.
Sadly Joan died at her home in South Africa in 1976 leaving her husband and two children.
Her younger brother Ian had died earlier in the same year ... so sad.

Joan's mother Hilda Watkinson and my mother were best friends.

Ciao Karen.

T. D.
28-Apr-2004, 04:01 AM

Karen:

I remembered that it was Joan but for the life of me couldn't come up with a surname. Off-hand, I can't remember which side of Fox Lane (Union St.) were the even numbers. Somehow, I had remembered that the step houses were evens. The other photo I posted included Ian Newton, who lived up at the top end not far from Lord's Butcher Shop and I though Ian's was #8. I should know, Fox Lane was my paper round when I worked at Dobson's, and my in-laws (Polly and Percy Nixon) lived at #10 before my wife was born.

Another family who lived in the step houses was the Hodge family. Bill Hodge was also in my class. They lived in Sandringham Avenue (off Bent Lane across from the rec.) but moved to Fox Lane when we were at Balshaw's.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.