Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland Festival 2013
11-Jun-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Leyland Festival 2013
Weather had been superb up until today, however it's going cooler now and heavy showers are forecast for the event.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Jun-2013, 08:40 PM
The weather report for Leyland for Saturday gives between 10º and 14º and mixed cloud/sun/showers.
13-Jun-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi again Audrey. One thing I missed off in my last post was that the Great John Bull was the butcher from the top of Union Street called John Lord. The grey hairs who attended school in Union Street will remember that you were able to walk from the street into the abattoir and watch as the meat was cut away. Anyway, he was John Bull. We did not go to Worden Park then, but to the May Field on Church Road. There was big pavilion there and a false floor was put in for dancing, and performances by groups.

Thinking back, the Leyland Fire Engine always had a place at the end of the Parade. If memory is still right, I believe that the Parade started at Mill Street in Farington and went all through the town to Church Road. It was always a surprise to see the May Queen and her float, it seemed to be so high, and as I said before, Stannings horses were something to remember in their shining harnesses. All gone now, but there may be a few who remember.

What happened to all the costumes which were displayed? The Morris Men in their velvet trousers and regalia, the Ten Little ones in their striped coats and with very black faces and hair, the girls in country costumes. Everyone was proud to see Leyland Festival then, it was before the War took away the best part of the Life of Leyland. The days when people walked down the street and said "Hello" to people they met, the smiles of friendliness - sadly all gone. The Sunday walks in your good clothes. Enough for now, Audrey, you had to be there to understand it. William R.
13-Jun-2013, 03:30 PM
Think sunny thoughts.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-Jun-2013, 03:34 PM
And get out your wellies
14-Jun-2013, 05:30 PM
I wonder if we can get #LeylandFestival tending tomorrow on twitter.

Martin ~
15-Jun-2013, 10:50 AM
That should have said trending! Good luck to everyone at the festival today.

Martin ~
15-Jun-2013, 11:15 AM
Hope it goes well and doesn't turn into what the drunken muppets, who used to use it as an excuse to be even bigger idiots than they normally are on a Saturday, liked to turn it into.

Back then there wasn't all day drinking apart from festival day, so the clowns have probably had a lot more practice but the town is far better than those idiots and the last thing it needs is to be remembered for them being plonkers than the celebration it should be.
15-Jun-2013, 11:21 AM
I will be celebrating quietly at home!
15-Jun-2013, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 15-Jun-2013 11:40 AM by filmoss.)
Pathetic traffic management in place ! I have just been down Golden Hill lane and back to pick my son up from Talbot Rd and the traffic management is a joke ! You can't just shut off the entrance to a road without having a contingency plan. ie they obviously shut off Churchill Way yet any traffic wanting to carry on towards Farington is still stopped when the traffic lights turn to red, so we have cars trying to get from the now closed off right lane trying to get into the left lane which is gridlocked because cars have still stopped at the red lights despite there being no need now the right turn is blocked off ! Going down Golden Hill Lane at junction with School Lane cars are stopping to ask why they cant turn left into School Lane and cars behind cant get by and so perhaps 3 or 4 cars get through at a time ! No police traffic measures in place whatsoever ! My usuall 5 min journey just took me 40 mins ! What a joke !