Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A little help with Gt Grandad, Thomas Taylor.
27-Jun-2013, 08:39 PM
A little help with Gt Grandad, Thomas Taylor.
Hi,

I am posting in the hope someone may remember some of the info i have on my Gt grandad or could help further in finding out more about him.

My Gt Grandads name is Thomas Taylor, he was born in 1886, Baptised at St Pauls Farington in the same year. He married a Lilian Wilkinson and had one son (my grandad) Alan. Thomas passed away in 1946 aged 60 and is buried at St James, Leyland.

I am trying to fill in the blanks inbetween the birth, marriage, death. Unfortunately my Grandad Alan passed away in 2010 so no family left that could shed some light on him.

Ok, heres the info i have so far.
Thomas served through both world wars, working with radios or something of that nature out at sea.
His fathers name is John Taylor, mother Rebecca.

His abode at Birth was in 'New longton'. Other addresses im positive i can link him too at a child/teen is mill farm, windy harbour lane, wheelton. Also possibly 7 school lane, Withnell Brinscall.

He was known as the 'wireless wizard', and he received congratulations from John Logie Baird for being the first man in the north west to receive tv pictures from crystal palace on his home made receiver in 1936. He had a large tv mast (approx 60ft) at his home that could be seen for miles around. This was at his home- Briers wood, Cocker lane Leyland. (info from an old newspaper article)

Any help with finding out more about Thomas would be greatly appreciated Smile

Taylor.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Jun-2013, 08:50 AM
RE: A little help with Gt Grandad, Thomas Taylor.
I can`t make any promises regarding information but I will speak to someone who has lived on Cocker Lane for many years and was part of the farming community.

Jim
28-Jun-2013, 09:24 AM
(28-Jun-2013 08:50 AM)Spitfire Wrote:  I can`t make any promises regarding information but I will speak to someone who has lived on Cocker Lane for many years and was part of the farming community.

Hi, thankyou that would be brilliant. Thomas's father John Taylor was also part of the farming community i think. Looking forward to your reply.

Taylor.
29-Jun-2013, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-Jun-2013 05:43 PM by Spitfire.)
Hi I`ve spoken to my friend and she does indeed remember your Great Grandfather, but as she was a child at the time she doesn`t have many memories of him. She DOES remember your Grandfather who she believes was an only child.

I need to go off at a tangent for a moment in order to illustrate her memories.

In the early days of radio, a glass cased battery, known as an accumulator, was required in order to supply voltage to the valve heaters (as illustrated).
[Image: radio_zps8f40de0a.jpg]
These accumulators required charging on a regular basis and were taken to electrical shops or garages for this purpose.

Your Gt. Grandfather used to supply this service to the local community and my friend had the task of dropping the discharged accumulator off at his house on the way to school and collecting a charged one on the way home.

She is sorry that the info is so sparse but , as she says, it was a long, long time ago.

Jim
01-Jul-2013, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-Jul-2013 12:16 PM by Taylor.)
Hi again, thankyou so much for your reply.
Only child is right... and Thomas only had one son also (Alan Taylor, who your friend may well also remember, aswell as his wife Lilian)

The story of him working with radios would make sense, we knew he got his radio know how from serving at sea in the war, and your friends story would also explain the nickname 'wireless wizard'.

The old newspaper article found stating he received congratulations from John Logie Baird has left my mum (Thomas's grandaughter) very curious about what he did back then so this story should give her some insight.

Thankyou again to you and your friend for sharing and passing on what she remembers Smile

Taylor.

Since starting research and posting in this forum i have come across an old photo which i will add along with the newspaper article, incase anyone else comes across this post, and has anymore stories or information.

Taylor.
01-Jul-2013, 06:02 PM
Thank you for your reply and anything else that comes to mind will be passed on to you.

On a personal note and although perhaps interesting to you but in no way linked to your quest, I recall time spent working in the archives at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum where I had the task of digitising glass plate photographs to computer. A series of them were of vehicles outside the Crystal Palace which had a high tower at each end. One of these towers housed JLB`s early TV transmission studio. (there you go - another piece of useless information Tongue)

Jim