Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Support Bus Station fight
23-Aug-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 23-Aug-2013 03:48 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Support Bus Station fight
According to the early reports on its problems, the rusting of re-bar within the concrete (i.e "concrete cancer") was one of the primary reasons for considering its demolition. Even without that, it's still a dangerous and very unpleasant place.

Backing up vehicles whose drivers can't see what's behind them is imbecilic. The place was built when every bus had a conductor who assisted the driver when reversing and kept pedestrians out of danger. Once that assistance was retired, anyone who ignores the "no pedestrians on the apron" rule was put at risk.

Add to that the danger from the yobs and druggies and the unpleasant odours and general run-down appearance of the corridors and empty shops, I don't understand why anyone would NOT want to get rid of the mess. I certainly don't buy into the whining of those who consider it a "gem of modern industrial architecture". It's downright ugly, a blight on the landscape.

As I've said, I don't "have a dog in this fight", but it seems that a lot of supporters that keep blocking the demolition don't either. How many members of this forum willingly use the station late in the evening? Do you feel safe there?

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Aug-2013, 04:07 PM
I would like to reply to the previous post, but as he has blocked me it is a waste of time.

I willingly use the bus station and the bus station car park in the evening. It has not got concrete cancer, as Noel said. That was a myth being circulated for devious purposes.

I only wish I could say this to Anes-wotshisname, but sadly that is not possible. It is a one-sided debate and not for any fault of mine.
23-Aug-2013, 04:26 PM
It must be frustrating trying to have a one sided debate Germinal and I sympathize with you.

I too have no problems using the facility and although I don`t use the buses I, together with several hundred others, regularly use the upper car park then attending concerts and shows. Perhaps those who are hell bent on the demolition could suggest an alternative where those several hundred cars could be parked.

Jim
23-Aug-2013, 10:18 PM
What's with this anti buses reversing stance ? People are not allowed on the concrete apron or fringe or whatever it is called and if anyone is stupid enough to ignore the warnings then on their heads be it !

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/bus-stat...-1-5931838
24-Aug-2013, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 24-Aug-2013 07:46 AM by germinal.)
People are allowed to cross the bus station at ground level. There is a fenced off passageway for them to do that right at the end nearest to the Guild Hall. This has made things a lot easier. If people are too lazy to just walk a few yards down to that safe area then they really deserve a fine. Of course, I am talking about able-bodied people.

Audrey - thanks for posting your sensible suggestion there. Let's hope some good comes of it.
24-Aug-2013, 09:02 AM
It should also be pointed out that many of the modern buses are equipped with reversing cameras and if our car is anything to go by the view is almost as good as looking forwards.

Jim
23-Sep-2013, 10:43 PM
Great news !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lan...e-24202923
24-Sep-2013, 10:32 AM
Keep it!!
This is ours! Can u believe - this tourist destination lacks a bus station since the Council is selling the site where it was. Huh
Below is an extract from the maker's advertising:-
"The single sided Canter (sic) lever is a very attractive looking modular shelter (refer to night vision below). The picture shown is of a shelter installed in Taupo at a tourism centre. An extended version has recently been installed in Hamilton. The combination of larger rear legs and thinner front supports provides a strong architectural feel. Tinted glass or glass with graphics applied are good roof options."
http://www.camnz.co.nz/webfiles/Communit...cture8.jpg

Jerry Threlfall
26-Sep-2013, 12:12 AM
Wonderful news about the bus station. Hallelujah.

Now Preston Council, do something about cleaning it up and sorting it out as you should have done long ago.
26-Sep-2013, 04:43 PM
Demolish it, It`s an architectural eyesore, and the underpass is a hazard at night, so my family say,they still live there, thank God I don`t

djh