Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Support Bus Station fight
26-Sep-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: Support Bus Station fight
No it isn't, and I have already said once on here that you don't need to use the underpass. There is a designated crossing area at ground level.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
26-Sep-2013, 09:55 PM
Why use the underpass at night, isn`t that simply courting problems? There are hazards and dangers at night almost ANYWHERE you can name (both here and abroad).

I shall be using the bus station/car park complex on several occasions in the coming months for Guild Hall events and am thankful that the bus station parking is so suitably convenient for these.

What puzzles me is if you thank God that you don`t live here, why do you think that those of us who do would be even slightly interested in whether or not you want it demolished?

Jim
27-Sep-2013, 01:28 PM
Well Jim, my family keep me in touch with their opinions and still being interested in Leyland is the reason I am part of this excellent local forum and feel able to voice their opinions and I feel sure that there are Leylanders who would agree with my comments I read with interest the forum and as a member in a free society I, as you can state my views hoping this helps to unravel your puzzle and maybe heighten your interest in other posters opinions both at home and abroad.

djh
27-Sep-2013, 01:36 PM
There are some interesting articles in the press about the building.

The Guardian:
Preston bus station: a sublime choice for grade II listing

Quote:Preston bus station, which only a few months ago was consigned for demolition by the local council, has just been granted what appears to be a total reprieve – a grade II listing. This is a spectacular victory for a conservation campaign for the sort of building that conservationists used to oppose bitterly.

The Telegraph:
Preston Bus Station given listed status

Quote:Preston Bus Station, a divisive Brutalist building from the late Sixties, has been saved from demolition after the Government granted it Grade II-listed status.

Preston Bus Station Website:
prestonbusstation.co.uk

Quote:In a surprise move, the leader of Preston City Council as well as the ceremonial Mayor have lashed out at the listing decision and insisted that demolition of the city's most favourite building is still very much an option - "This doesn't stop us doing anything."

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-Sep-2013, 03:08 PM
Well Dave H, not sure if you can read this anyway, but your family must be dotty using the underpass at any time of day let alone at night. Nobody else uses it - they don't need to.
27-Sep-2013, 05:15 PM
Germinal, What good is the underpass as an integral part of this building if it is not able to be used effectively and safely day or night, my partner who worked at C & A`s years ago tells me that it was a safety route designed to keep pedestrians safe instead of risking walking across the apron, and I can still read despite my age. sarcasm does not become you. She was one of many that thought as the rest that it was better pulled down and rebuild on it`s present site which is an excellent town centre spot, nothing wrong with the site only the building. Q.E.D. Many thanks to Martin for the valuable and informative input.

djh
27-Sep-2013, 05:20 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic Dave. What I am saying is that there is a properly fenced off walkway at ground level now for people to use. Nobody uses the underpass at all - they don't need to. I simply cannot see why your family seem to want to use it. Nobody else does. There is no need.
27-Sep-2013, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 27-Sep-2013 06:05 PM by Spitfire.)
`She was one of many that thought as the rest that it was better pulled down`.

The rest of whom? If you cared to read the letters in the LEP you would see that the vast majority want to RETAIN the bus station.

You attempt to to take Germinal to task for stating her views on the subject, which I have to add, are in line with many who actually LIVE HERE.

You thank Martin for ,` the valuable and informative input.`. What you DO NOT know is that the vast majority of it was written by Councillor Rankin who`s avowed intention is to have the building demolished (thank God he failed in this).

Preston has many failings and at the top of the list is the council.

Jim
27-Sep-2013, 06:38 PM
If the underpass is a problem, then get rid of it. There's no need to knock the whole building down.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-Sep-2013, 08:39 AM
Here Here Martin, get rid of it.

djh