Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
'Likes' Or 'Thank Yous'
07-Sep-2013, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-Sep-2013 03:32 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: 'Likes' Or 'Thank Yous'
Maybe an e-mail from Admin to the non-participating members to find out why they no longer participate would be worth a try. Traffic has died down substantially since the redesign. I'd be interested to see a comparison of posting traffic numbers from, say, the two months before the shut down and the last two months of the current forum.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Sep-2013, 03:40 PM
But there are many members, haven't counted but looks like about 50 who haven't posted at all. Some of them go back more than a year. There are about 50 others going back to 2011 who have only posted one post and never returned.
08-Sep-2013, 04:58 AM
I'll say it one more time, and I know it will piss off those directly involved. I don't think the re-design of the forum and the 2+ weeks shut down was worth the trouble. It was a much better forum in its original incarnation than many I subscribe to (even now) and I don't see any significant functional improvement in the current version. It seems to be mainly fancy window-dressing and "glitz". Unless the original host was going out of business and a new set-up was critical, it's my opinion that a lot of unnecessary aggravation was visited on us all.

I've been working with computers since before Bill Gates graduated junior high school. I know Singer GP-4 assembly language, Honeywell DDP assembly language and at a pinch can program in binary. I've been working with Microsoft since its first generally applicable programs came on the market and also was (before retirement) pretty fluent in Scientific FORTRAN and ALGOL.

It took at least a dozen unsuccessful attempts and almost a month's elapsed time to get any password that worked with my old i/d on the new system, and only then with a direct intervention by Martin in response to a direct e-mail. If someone with my computing background couldn't make it work, what chances do occasional users without the technical background have to get back in?

I've been a member of the forum since May 2002 and it's a significant link to my home town from 4500 miles away. I wasn't ready to just kiss it off and withdraw my participation.

I'm quite sure a lot of the "lost"members just gave up the fight of trying to get back in and I think a polite inquiry to see if that actually was the reason they gave up participating could be fruitful in getting the participation back to somewhere closer to what it was prior to the change

Just my honest and rather acerbic opinion.

Frank
08-Sep-2013, 08:31 AM
You are on the right lines with mentioning Facebook and Twitter Aud, these are the main reasons why this forum, and all forums have suffered in posting numbers of late. Posters can, and do, complain about things that don't suit them; and people can boast about their prowess in all things cyber but at the end of the day the owner of the forum decides what they want for the forum layout and posters must take it or leave it.

As we are now such a very small select group on here I think we must learn to rub along together and do our best to keep the forum afloat. Otherwise what is the alternative?

I do not subscribe to either Facebook or Twitter on principle, but am a member of a small handful of forums (fora ?) In my experience most people try to get on and have a good debate and swap news and certainly don't waste time striking postures or "taking the huff".

It was difficult to get in here at the start - like others I had a lot of trouble and nothing seemed to work, but I persevered and got there in the end. Aud is right in saying that numbers had already fallen before the changeover. The general email that is suggested would bring a few results I'm sure. Those interested could be helped in and numbers might swell a bit.
08-Sep-2013, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-Sep-2013 09:04 AM by Spitfire.)
I fully agree with all that has gone before and would, if I may, suggest that an eMail to lapsed members coupled with a clearing out of the `deadwood` (people who have only visited once etc.) would be a positive step forward. Simply doing nothing whilst waiting for people to come to us quite obviously does not work.

Jim
08-Sep-2013, 04:41 PM
An interesting debate with lots of opinions.

Frank, your problems could have been resolved in 10 minutes if you had asked for help, but what is it they say about men and asking for directions? Smile

An email was sent out to members to let them know that they should contact Admin if they had any problems getting on the forum. A few people responded and their accounts were fixed. since then no one has been in touch with the same issue.

Members who sign up but don't post are usually deleted after a number of months. I will go through the list and clear these out if I don't get any indication that they want to be a part of the forum.

I am considering changing the way in which people log in. At present users can log in with their user name and password. I might change this to email address and password to stop people signing up with an email address that they later discard. Some older accounts have dud email addresses which means that we can't get in touch with them.
I'll get back to you if we decide to go down that route.

I will consider sending out an email to dormant members to find out why they aren't posting and I'll also remind them that inactive accounts will be deleted if no posts have been made.

Several new user registrations have been made recently to test for problems and so far nothing has stopped any of these from being able to sign up.

New users have to be approved at the moment because of spam registrations, but any that don't look dodgy will be activated once they have been checked out.

If you have any more suggestions please let me know.
08-Sep-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks Admin! Smile
08-Sep-2013, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-Sep-2013 09:59 PM by filmoss.)
So are we getting a 'Thank You' button or not ? Shy
08-Sep-2013, 10:21 PM
What the hell do you want it for?
08-Sep-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that consideration. I was following the procedures laid out in the instructions on how to reactivate my identity after the change over. For some reason, every new password I was assigned failed to work when I tried to use it. I therefore couldn't get into the forum to read any messages about log-in problems. I didn't get an e-mail either, though my e-mail address hasn't changed since 1999.

It wasn't until I created a whole new identity that I was able to access the forum (and the membership list) again. An e-mail to Martin then took care of the problem very quickly, as you point out and my original identity and password were restored, bringing back my posting record and allowing me to be recognised under my old identification.I now have a small file containing the e-mail addresses of a few of the administrators that is independent of being able to log in to the forum.

Rest assured that I value my membership in this group and appreciate the work that is done by the various folks in Admin.

Regards,

Frank