Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low activity level
I can't be specific with posting rates on the current Forum, compared to the level of activity with the previous version, but my feeling is that about 75% of our earlier posters have given up trying to access the current version. It's almost moribund now and I see the same 20 or less posters showing up, instead of the two-hundred or more we used to have.

The membership list, carried over from the previous version, still shows all those older posters.

In my particular case, I spent countless hours trying to renew my membership/password. It was only a private message to Martin that got me enrolled again. Anyone with less enthuisasm than I had would have given up altogether. As a member of a significant family in Leyland, i wasn't prepared to abandon the Forum. It serves a very useful purpose.

I have the feeling that a very large proportion of members from the original incarnation had the same kind of grief I had and just gave up. Maybe an e-mail to everyone on the membership roll, explaining how to re-enroll in the new forum would re-energise the community.

If Admin would like me to start e-mails to our old, non-participating members, I'd be more than happy to participate. Please send me a PM if you'd like me to do that.

Frank
(05-Nov-2013, 05:03 AM)anacortesdamp Wrote: I can't be specific with posting rates on the current Forum, compared to the level of activity with the previous version, but my feeling is that about 75% of our earlier posters have given up trying to access the current version. It's almost moribund now and I see the same 20 or less posters showing up, instead of the two-hundred or more we used to have.

The membership list, carried over from the previous version, still shows all those older posters.

In my particular case, I spent countless hours trying to renew my membership/password. It was only a private message to Martin that got me enrolled again. Anyone with less enthuisasm than I had would have given up altogether. As a member of a significant family in Leyland, i wasn't prepared to abandon the Forum. It serves a very useful purpose.

I have the feeling that a very large proportion of members from the original incarnation had the same kind of grief I had and just gave up. Maybe an e-mail to everyone on the membership roll, explaining how to re-enroll in the new forum would re-energise the community.

If Admin would like me to start e-mails to our old, non-participating members, I'd be more than happy to participate. Please send me a PM if you'd like me to do that.

Frank

I think a few are enjoying the 'Leyland Memories' page on Facebook at the moment but they will be back when the memories become exhausted ! I have done several plugs for this site on there but it doesnt look like many have taken the bait ! Sad
While I think that's true Phil I do think the problems of getting onto the new site has put some off. You've done admirably plugging the site on Facebook but as you say, no-one's taken it up.
I think Phil is right in saying that people are engrossed in the Leyland Memories pages on Facebook. There is no reason why new members cannot join the forum and I believe that the password problem only affects people across the Atlantic. It could be a time zone issue.

I need to sort out the membership before we email anyone. People who have never posted will be put into a special group and if they don't respond, their accounts will be pruned.

Members who have posted but not visited for a long time will be emailed separately.
Martin ~
If Admin would like me to start sending "Why aren't you participating any more", please send me a list of those former participants you'd like me to contact, maybe with a form message that I could edit as necessary for particular circumstances.

I'd love to see the forum get back to its earlier dynamism. Personally, I can't stand Facebook or Twitter. They seem to be so shallow and interested in major scandal with no recognisable depth. DW is on Facebook, since all our grandchildren use it, but I've declined to get involved - maybe a dinosaur soon to be extinct!!
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
I agree with the comments about FB's "Leyland Memories Group" usurping interest - but have to admit that it can be engrossing (and there are some few good photos on there!) Most of the LMG crowd are of a younger generation and many are still in Lancs. or thereabouts from what I have observed. I would be very interested to know how many have joined this forum in say the last 6 weeks.
Jerry Threlfall
(06-Nov-2013, 11:47 AM)Jerryt Wrote: I agree with the comments about FB's "Leyland Memories Group" usurping interest - but have to admit that it can be engrossing (and there are some few good photos on there!) Most of the LMG crowd are of a younger generation and many are still in Lancs. or thereabouts from what I have observed. I would be very interested to know how many have joined this forum in say the last 6 weeks.

How about forming a Leyland Forum Facebook page ? If ya cant beat em, join em ! Smile
(07-Nov-2013, 12:51 PM)filmoss Wrote: How about forming a Leyland Forum Facebook page ? If ya cant beat em, join em ! Smile

That idea got a very hostile reception when it was last suggested.

I'll look into it.
(08-Nov-2013, 07:43 AM)audpluswesties Wrote: I don't see how that would change things here except to "blend in" or still "give way" to the LM page and take people away who have genuine concerns about/against FB. Surely that's just heralding an end to the forum. Just MHO - I would be interested in what others think about it Wink

I really cant get my head around why people are wary of Facebook and simply refuse to use it ? You reap what you sow, it really is that simple ! Sleepy
I don't see how it would work, there's already a Leyland memories section.