Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
South Australian Masters Soccer League
21-Aug-2004, 12:56 PM
South Australian Masters Soccer League
Living in Australia I'm obviously not local but I thought I'd put this in anyway. (I used to live in Leyland so I was local once!)
As suggested by the title I play in the South Australian Masters Soccer League. Games are played on Sunday mornings in paklands and school grounds near the centre of Adelaide. Players must be 35 years old or older, games are played over two 40 minute halves and there can be unlimited substitutions with subs able to return to the ground after coming off.
I play for a team called Austria (no relation) and as I write we are near the bottom of Division 1 and have reached the semi finals of the Challenge Cup.
Many of the the teams, and Austria is certainly one of them, don't have any formal training regime. Games are usually played in good spirit with a couple of beers, and occasionally more, being downed afterwards.
Results can usually be found at http://www.sams.org.au. The website is run by someone assosciated with one of the other clubs and because of the suject matter I imagine is rarely be viewed by anyone outside Adelaide.
People in Leyalnd and elsewhere may find it interesting to read about a small but flourishing sporting league on the other side of the world.

Cheers, Dave[Big Grin]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
13-Oct-2004, 11:35 AM

Well the season has finished and although we lost 1-0 to Parafield in the cup semi, a couple of hard fought 2-1 wins over Taverners and College mean we keep our place in Division 1.
I expect I'll be back again next year, another year older (just turned 45) and slower!

Dave
13-Oct-2004, 02:54 PM

Dave; I went on the link you posted yesterday. I am affiliated with a similar league here in southern California, Claremont Adult Soccer Association, (CASA) I don't know if we have a web page or not, but I shall find out and if so, I'll post the URL.
After playing all my life Preston and District League, West Lancs League, then a New York league and a couple of different leagues here, I broke my leg just short of my 50th birthday, just seventeen years ago. I still ref two games every Sunday morning. Over 35's just like your league. Very competitive mind you, with a real mixture of races involved, just like the EPL, and just as much arguing too ;-))
Hope you will continue to post on other threads while the footy season dormant.
The Brits will be wondering why your season has just ended...what with winter approaching...but just like New York, the winters are to severe to play anything but ice hockey eh ??
Have a nice day...DaveH
Quote this message in a reply
13-Oct-2004, 02:57 PM

Dave; Sorry mate, I was thinking you were in Canada....it's cricket season coming up eh ??
Just another CRAFT moment there...Can't remember a Flippin Thing ;-))
Have a good un..DaveH
13-Oct-2004, 08:41 PM

DAVE, I still play, in the old timers league here on the lower mainland of British Columbia. There are 28 teams in our league, all over 50. The winter season has just started, I say that because most of the teams also play in a summer league. Like your league there are unlimited subs, 2X45 min halves and lots of beer afterwards. We play at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Like Dave H. I played in lancashire before coming to Canada in 1974, in fact I think we probably played against each other in the West Lancs league or the Lancs combination. I also played against Leyland Motors quite a few times. Regards, Bryan.
14-Oct-2004, 03:17 PM

Bryan; It was you I had in mind when I jumped to Canada instead of Aussie on my first posting.
16-Oct-2004, 01:02 PM

Hi David and Bryan
Do your competitions break for a while during the coldest weeks of winter which I believe happens in some of the professional leagues in Europe? Our competition runs from April to September and as Aussie winters are fairly mild we don't have too many problems although we had one postponement last season due to waterlogged pitches.
Dave
17-Oct-2004, 02:30 AM

DaveL; Cold ? What's cold [8D] Cold here in the L.A. area is about
60F, 16C, daytime [8D][8D] Our biggest soccer thrill...playing in the rain. [Big Grin]
17-Oct-2004, 08:44 PM

I used to follow an Australian team's results during summer, mainly because they were called Preston. One year they disappeared and I scouted high and low to discover much later they were now called Croat.
Most odd, I think they are based in Melbourne so maybe you've heard of them Dave L?
18-Oct-2004, 12:33 PM

Noel
There is a suburb of Melbourne called Preston and the club would come from there. The team was probably formed by the Croatian community hence the name.
Cheers, Dave