Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Try google today
21-May-2014, 04:02 AM
RE: Try google today
My about 8 year-old eMachines desktop runs Win XP and doesn't have enough grunt to take on Win 7. I'm looking into new lap-tops with Win 7, though I'm getting a lot of static about why I'm going with a 5-year old OS. I've heard so much negative about Win 8 and 8.1 from friends who are computer gurus, I don't want to get into being a development person for Microsoft and not get paid!

I am going for a 64-bit lap-top for long-term performance, but I'm still sceptical about going beyond Win 7 at present.

Comments?

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-May-2014, 09:49 AM
No way would I want Win 8 Frank, I tried it on a neighbour's new laptop and gave up. I think younger types woud probably take to it like ducks to water but nooooo way for me. Stick with 7. I'm trying to get back to Ubuntu, it's a much faster OS than windows but it got wiped when my motherboard packed in.
21-May-2014, 03:45 PM
Noel:

"Superb" is the last descriptor I'd use for Google Chrome. "Barely adequate" is more how I view it. It's not as good as IE8 in many areas and IE is a bit of a turkey also. When I look at some of the UK newspapers, I get total gibberish on Chrome. I only have it because "flightradar24.com", a program I use frequently, was deliberately designed to be incompatible with IE.

Maybe, on a newer computer, it would be better.

Frank
22-May-2014, 10:52 AM
I think there's something wrong with your PC Frank. It'll be a revelation when you get your new one. IE, yuck, big security problems slow dreadful. My 77 years old neighbour has windows8, took me ages to work out how to get it to work, she seems ok with it now. Android for me next time.
22-May-2014, 11:32 AM
We have two PCs, a laptop and a netbook all on Windows 7. Our two tablets are android as are our phones and I can't really see any difference.
23-May-2014, 08:16 PM
Do you not find that Android boots up faster germinal?
23-May-2014, 10:18 PM
No. We are on Virgin media cable and it is super fast. We have regular speeds of 60+. It is an instantaneous boot-up on there. Android is a little slower but still good.