Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Butterflies. Or lack of.
08-Jul-2014, 02:16 PM
Butterflies. Or lack of.
Where have they all gone? Every-year our Buddleja bush flowers and is instantly covered with Cabbage White, Peacock and Red Admiral butterflies. My cabbages get gnawed to bits by their caterpillars laid by them. This year none. What's happened?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-Jul-2014, 02:40 PM
RE: Butterflies. Or lack of.
I just turned round to look at our buddleia outside the window here where I am sitting and there isn't one single butterfly on it. I have never known that, usually is it teeming with them.
11-Jul-2014, 02:11 PM
(08-Jul-2014 02:40 PM)germinal Wrote:  I just turned round to look at our buddleia outside the window here where I am sitting and there isn't one single butterfly on it. I have never known that, usually is it teeming with them.

I guess there's only you and me, and Audrey of course who can comment locally. My sister who lives down in Hertfordshire says they have butterflies there, a friend who's been in Devon last week saw quite a few, another friend on the Wirrall also no butterflies on his budleja, could it be a farmers' crop spray killing the larvae?
11-Jul-2014, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-Jul-2014 02:41 PM by germinal.)
Oh I do hope not.

Just went out and saw a Red Admiral, but on the wall not on the buddleia!
12-Jul-2014, 03:22 AM
Our main butterfly population consists of something similar to Cabbage Whites. I'm not sure what they're called locally. They seem to be in their typical numbers this year, not "teeming" but we see several a day. There don't seem to be many other species in the immediate area, maybe due to the proximity of salt water?

We see more Bald Eagles, Ospreys and Blue Herons than anything else. There's a colony of maybe 10 mating pairs of herons in the trees about a quarter-mile away. Boy, are those young ones noisy! The local city park, about a mile away, has several resident pairs of Bald Eagles and we see Ospreys out off our local beach, fishing.

Just outside of the eastern city limits there's a large woodland area (several acres of mature firs). I've seen stories in the local paper suggesting that there are about 200 nesting pairs of Blue Herons and maybe 75 nesting pairs of Bald Eagles.

Frank
12-Jul-2014, 08:44 AM
Do you know, I have wondered about getting one of those mesh door things. We had quite a few wasps getting into the house at the last warm spell a couple of weeks ago, but not many at the moment.

We have loads of bees on the foxgloves. We have seen quite a lot of ladybirds too.

I read that we are going to be deluged with slugs this year, and I am well prepared with my organic slug pellets!
12-Jul-2014, 09:36 AM
I think you'll be safe from slugs germinal, I have the entire UK population of slugs and snails in my garden. Plenty of bees, we have a catoneaster hedge and they love it. Still no butterflies though and the bedleija's on its way out.
12-Jul-2014, 10:24 AM
Oh well, so long as you keep the slugs in your garden then that's alright!

Big GrinBig Grin

I don't mind a few snails - the thrush loves those. You can hear him smashing them up on the stones.
18-Jul-2014, 01:50 PM
I have seen exactly two butterflies since I first posted about it and they didn't go near the buddleia.

It is very odd. The buddleia is going over now and won't be flowering for much more than a week.
18-Jul-2014, 05:01 PM
I saw a few cabbage white on Sunday when we walked Ben along the bank of the River Douglas, a huge field full of cabbage and cauli, Utopia for cabbage white but just a few. Since then I've had 1 in the garden and my Budleja's on its way out too.