Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Arctic" weather in Lancashire
27-Jan-2015, 04:55 PM
"Arctic" weather in Lancashire
I got a big chuckle out of the LEP's report on the possibility of the cold weather. Sorry, fellas, -5 C isn't "Arctic", it's just "a bit on the cool side". -5F is cold, but "Arctic" suggests at least down to somewhere in the -30F range.

People in the northern mid-West states (Minnesota, etc.), are out in T-shirts and shorts washing their cars when the temperature staggers up into the Fahrenheit teens.

In Anacortes, once the morning for burns off, our highs are getting up towards 60F this week. with blue skies and sunshine. We might be paying for it in late February!

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-Feb-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: "Arctic" weather in Lancashire
Talking of Arctic weather, yesterday I was shown a Russian Arctic medal which was presented to surviving members of the Arctic convoys during WW11. The recipient has now reached his 90th year and has waited 70 years to receive his medal, most survivers have not lived long enough to receive them. It was in a very nice presentation box with a blue and white strped ribbon and a Russian inscription on the medal.

frank h.
03-Feb-2015, 11:32 AM
I get jealous of the blue skies, ours are usually grey as the wet winds arrive from the Atlantic Ocean. Minus 5C today here, hardly Arctic but lovely sunny day with yes blue skies. If you ever read the express.co.uk headlines Frank(s) you'll find a major disaster predicted or miracle cure for x,y,z every other day by a reporter called Nathan Rao. I think he must subscribe to Billy's Weekly Liar.
03-Feb-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Feb-2015 04:25 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Noel:

My on-line sources for UK news are the Guardian, the Telegraph and BBC. For Lancashire news it's the LEP. I was never fond of the Daily Express, though it was the majority of my morning deliveries as a paper-boy.

We're back to our usual dull, grey and soggy weather, but at least it's not cold and windy with it. Wind less than 5 knots and daytime highs around 48F, lows around 42.

Frank
03-Feb-2015, 10:25 PM
We got about 1 cm of snow today but it didn't last long. It can't belong until spring now.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-Mar-2016, 01:47 PM
Frank H, my father in law took part in the Russian convoys when he served in the Royal Navy in WW2. He was on a battleship and made a few runs from Scotland to Murmansk and Archangel. They'd go via Iceland and the Arctic Circle to try and avoid submarines.

His photo album has some interesting shots in it, showing the severe icing up of the ship. If they didn't chip it away, they'd become top heavy and possibly roll over so in TRUE arctic conditions, the ship's company had to go on deck and get rid of the thick ice. It must have taken them days to do it. They deserved their medals. Ironically, the Russians awarded the British sailors a medal before the British government did.