Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LCC to slash speed limit on Longmeanygate
28-Jan-2015, 02:16 PM
LCC to slash speed limit on Longmeanygate
Determined residents who have been fighting to improve road safety on their street are celebrating a victory this week – but say more still needs to be done.

People living in Longmeanygate, Leyland, have been campaigning for years for traffic calming measures and a reduced speed limit on the 60mph stretch of road.

After carrying out a traffic survey, Lancashire County Council has agreed slashing the speed limit is the way to go.

Paul Dunne, highways manager for South Ribble, said: “The traffic counts on the section of Longmeanygate which is currently derestricted showed the range of speed for most drivers was between 35mph to 45mph.

“Following discussions with the police, we are proposing to reduce the speed limit on the derestricted section to 40mph.”

www.lep.co.uk

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Jan-2015, 04:08 PM
RE: LCC to slash speed limit on Longmeanygate
Let's hope it's more successful than the 20mph zones. The one in Church Lane Farington Moss has no effect whatsoever. Cars still speed through it.
Find all posts by this user
28-Jan-2015, 09:04 PM
With all the 20mph zones and parking restrictions around here in Wigan, we are probably the most restricted town in the north west. Plus all the traffic lights getting from one side of town to the other takes for ever.

frank h.
29-Jan-2015, 04:49 PM
Don't get me started about traffic lights Frank, my betenoir.
30-Jan-2015, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 30-Jan-2015 04:08 PM by anacortesdamp.)
If I remember correctly, Longmeanygate is the road that heads west from the Earnshaw Bridge crossroads. Hasn't it become fairly built-up residential? If that's the one, I'm amazed it still had a 60 limit.

Frank
30-Jan-2015, 09:08 PM
Having lived on Longmeanygate for a number of years in the 70`s on the bend that used to be Hart`s shop before I bought it, we had to deal with a number of accident on the bend outside our house all due to excessive speed, so anything to reduce speed on this particular road would be welcome to the present home owners in that area and hopefully save lives.

djh
02-Feb-2015, 11:01 AM
(30-Jan-2015 04:07 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  If I remember correctly, Longmeanygate is the road that heads west from the Earnshaw Bridge crossroads. Hasn't it become fairly built-up residential? If that's the one, I'm amazed it still had a 60 limit.

Frank

It's changed somewhat since you were here Frank. The section they are talking about goes from the roundabout junction with Flensburg Way and mainly is farmland with the odd farm and a methodist church. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.703029...290592,16z
18-Mar-2016, 05:34 PM
With the cuts in the number of traffic police, will a reduced speed limit make any difference? Or are they going to site a speed camera along this stretch of roadway? It's not an easy place for police to use their mobile camera van as they have to park it up safely, usually in a lay by and there aren't any on Longmeanygate.

Speeders are all over the place - I always notice them coming out of Preston over the new Ribble bridge as they head towards the Brown Hare. Before the roundabout, after crossing Strand Road, the limit is 40mph but if you stick to that you'll not be seen for dust!