Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
4U 9525
27-Mar-2015, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 27-Mar-2015 08:51 AM by noel.)
4U 9525
Words fail really that a pilotl can be locked out of his cabin by his co-pilot. And for his employers to admit he should not have been employed. And then to read that technology exists to control planes from the ground, but companies won't adopt it. I'm no aviation expert, just a concerned passenger. I hope something's done to correct these shortcomings before September http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32072218
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
27-Mar-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: 4U 9525
The immediate fix is to always have two people on the flight deck. If a pilot needs to go potty, the top cabin attendant goes up front. It's a requirement in the US. The airlines could add a third pilot, but that would make fares more expensive than ever.

The secure flight deck door was a knee-jerk reaction to hijackers getting in. I'm surprised it took this long for people to realise that nobody can get in if those on the flight deck don't want them to.

Frank
29-Mar-2015, 08:01 PM
Couldn't agree more Frank. It also surprises me a serious mental illness isn't notified directly to the pilot's airline. It's akin to the 3 London schoolgirls given letters by the police warning their parents they were being radicalised and in danger of joining ISlS in Syria. But far more serious I should add. T
he European air safety body has now stipulated 2 people must be in the cabin at all times.
29-Mar-2015, 11:00 PM
Noel:

I don't know how the rules work in Germany for private doctors to notify employers of medical issues affecting their employees. I'm sure it would violate US civil medical confidentiality rules. US commercial pilots get regular medical screenings by either the airline's own medical staff or by FAA-certified doctors who do report their findings to the FAA.

I suspect that the disappeared Malaysia 777 may also have been a crew suicide issue. Nobody knows whether both pilots were alive when the turn off-course was made.
30-Mar-2015, 01:37 AM
I'm with you Frank.
30-Mar-2015, 01:17 PM
Glad I don`t Fly any more, here for the duration. having said that, they say there are more in motoring road deaths than air disasters.

djh
30-Mar-2015, 02:53 PM
According to statistics, Dave, you're much more likely to be killed in a car accident driving to the airport than you are while flying. Having a suicide by crew is really rare, and the MAS crash over Ukraine was deliberate military action. The only recent one that was a "real" accident was the one that went down in the Red Sea.

That said, there are quite a few airlines that I would avoid, but "no names, no pack drill". We'd be flying out of either Vancouver or Seattle if we went anywhere.

I'd be quite comfortable on BA, American, Delta, Virgin, All Nippon, JAL, Icelandair, Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, QANTAS, Air New Zealand and maybe Emirates. Many of the others, I'd be a bit skeptical of and several I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

The only places we'd be interested in going to these days would be the UK and Japan, since we have family resident in both places. I haven't flown commercial for 12 years. Eileen has flown to Japan and to the UK more recently

Frank
31-Mar-2015, 02:32 AM
I fly all the time. Europe, Asia, US on occasions. Just started flying KL-Istanbul-Bologna with Turkish, surprisingly good. I am used to flying short haul with Firefly, Malindo etc and I always personally fly with Air Asia Business because they are the same price as economy with everyone else, the only difference is you buy your booze. I can easily drink less than 2 grand for the privilege of going business with Malaysian.

Funny you say QANTAS Frank, I recently found out that QANTAS doesn't seem to do International long or short haul any more, they code share all that with Emirates and BA. Their previous hub arrangement ex Singapore/KL and Bangkok is winding down in favour of the Dubai hub of Emirates. All their short haul international now seems to be with JetStar - their budget wing.