Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrading (yeah, right) my computer
20-May-2015, 03:19 AM
Upgrading (yeah, right) my computer
After 11 years with a Windows XP desk-top, I've finally bitten the bullet a bought a new Windows 8.1 laptop. It's a 15.6" screen Dell Inspiron . It was a very good deal from Fry's Electronics for just under $300.

After fighting with the thing for four weeks, I'm beginning to wish I'd got an Apple. Eileen's iPad is a lot more intuitive.

There is almost nothing, except the most annoying features of Windows that I'd love to see disappear, to indicate this was any improvement.

So much of what I have (photo printer, Quicken, external disk drive), aren't compatible with Win 8.1, so it's likely to be a much more expensive transition than I expected.

If you haven't upgraded through the various Windows programs since XP, be VERY leery of "upgrading" to 8.1! I don't consider it an upgrade at all. It seems like a very retrograde step as far as usability and friendliness is concerned. If it hadn't been for the increasing inability to find XP-compatible versions of newer programs, I don't think I'd have done the "upgrade".

Maybe Windows 10 will be better. I wish I'd gone for a box with Windows 7. I might delete 8.1 and load W7, since son-in-law has a commercial Win 7 with multiple uses.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-May-2015, 07:53 AM
RE: Upgrading (yeah, right) my computer
The Windows upgrades after Vista, put me off. They seem to have ripped up the format and tried to copy something that's better. My next switch will be after careful consideration, a great deal of.!
21-May-2015, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 21-May-2015 03:26 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Audrey:

At son-in-law's suggestion, I got a program called "Classic Shell", which I set up to make Win 8.1's interface look like Win7. I'm still struggling some, but I have both Google Chrome, Internet Explorer (version 11) and Norton Security up and running. The next step will be to get an 8.1 compatible MS Office, then start migrating things ove and translating the old Word documents. I think I'll hang on to the old desk-top for a while until I can get 8.1 compatible Quicken and a new photo printer.

I have a newish Epson printer that they reckon can do photo-quality printing, so I'll be giving it an audition wit some of our Golden Anniversary pictures this week sometime.

I think s-i-l and family are coming for the 3-day weekend, so I might be in much better shape by Monday!
22-May-2015, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 22-May-2015 03:23 AM by anacortesdamp.)
Audrey:

We've had a problem in the last 18 months or so with people in various organisations we're in sending newsletters, etc., in ".docx" format. Word 03 can't read them. It's particularly irritating for Eileen because three knitting clubs she's in all send out their stuff as ".docx".

Since s-i-l has a current multi-user, current-version MS Office with uses still available, I'll probably go that way. I only need Word and maybe Excel. The rest of it is of no interest. I wish Microsoft would separate Office into indivdual programs so people could just buy what they need. We retirees don't need all the presentation stuff and other things in Office.

Can Open Office read the ".docx" documents? If it can, that might be the way for me to go. I don't remember that last time I used Excel and I've never used any of the other programs in MS Office.

After 11 years with XP, obsolescence finally caught up. I'm not sure how long it will be before one would have similar trouble with Win 7, hence my anxiety about getting the update to 8.1 to work so I can understand it and then moving on to Win 10. It shouldn't be that difficult, for someone who's been using computers since the days of vacuum tubes and ALGOL. My first use of computing was in 1966 when the company I worked for rented time on a Coventry Technical College computer, and I was in Boeing's Crew Training organisation writing assembly langauge and scientific FORTRAN real-time computer stuff for crew training simulators between 1973 and 2004. We got the realism so good (FAA certified) that the first time a trainee flew a real airplane was his FAA checkride.

I guess technology has gone racing by in the almost 16 years since I retired from Boeing and the 11 years since I got my XP desk-top, and I missed it! Complacency has its price, I guess.

Frank

Frank
22-May-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 22-May-2015 03:39 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Thanks, Audrey. I'll do that. The family won't be here this weekend after all, and I'd like to get a word-processing program running soon.

Frank
23-May-2015, 12:55 PM
I've used Open Offices for ages, free, does all that Microsoft version does.