Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Phillip Grundy the Dentist
20-May-2015, 06:22 PM
Phillip Grundy the Dentist
Hi,

I'm not from around the Leyland area but I recently read a fact book in which it stated that a dentist called Phillip Grundy, from the area, left his dental nurse a large amount of money if she "wouldn't wear make-up and jewellery" or "go out with anyone for 5 years". I was wondering if anyone remembers him and what did they think of him?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-May-2015, 02:53 PM
RE: Phillip Grundy the Dentist
Grundy was a long-established dentist in Leyland. I think his practice dated back to before WW2. He was notorious for being unsympathetic, even cruel to his patients and my parents would have nothing to do with him.

IIRC, he retired and shut down the practice in the early 1960s. I have a vague recollection of his unusual request. I'm sure other members, many of whom were ptobably patients, will remember better. My siblings and I went through the Lancashire County school dental service until we started with a dentist who had offices above the Gaumont cinema in Preston.

Frank Damp
former Leylander, now enjoying retirement
in Anacortes, Washington State, USA
22-May-2015, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 22-May-2015 06:56 AM by Dave H.)
I remember him well, he was my dentist until he retired, he did seem a little unsympathetic but I found him OK, he had a one way in and one way out, once in you could not chicken out and get out the way you came in, the in door only worked one way, so you had to go through the surgery to get out.

djh
23-May-2015, 12:53 PM
We've had a thread or him included in a thread some few years ago. The terrace where he practised is named Grundy Terrace after the family. I always found them ok and sympathetic.