Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
connecting camcorder to pc.
11-Jun-2015, 07:01 PM
connecting camcorder to pc.
I've dug my old Canon camcorder out, it has footage from 5 or 6 years ago of our grandchildren. But the cable I have to connect it to the pc is the right shape at the camera end, but HDMI I believe it's called at the other end. You see how much a technophobe I am. If I get a cable that connects the HDMI bit to my USB port will that connect the camcorder to the PC.?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Jun-2015, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-Jun-2015 08:38 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: connecting camcorder to pc.
I'm surprised that such an old camera would have an HDMI cable, unless it's not the original that came with it. IIRC, HDMI only appeared about 3 years ago. I'd suggest going to a computer shop with the camera and that cable, plus a cable that plugs into your PC and get their advice.

I'm having cable confusion also, as I want to transfer a lot of stuff from my old desktop to my new laptop. All the sockets on the computers are the flat, skinny female USB type, but all the the USB cables have a different socket at the device end that isn't compatible. Right now I'm doing it with a thumb drive. The lap-top doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, which I guess is fairly common these days, so I can't use that method.

I don't classify myself as a technophobe, but I realise that I'm way behind the state of the art. My old desk-top computer is 11 years old and cost almost 4 times (in "then" dollars) what I paid for my new lap-top.

I saw a comparison a while back that said if cars had developed like computers, a new Rolls Royce would do 300 mph and cost less than $50.00. Unfortunately it would be too small to get into!

BTW, Noel, do you realise yours is the first post since June 6th?

Frank
11-Jun-2015, 08:55 PM
Yes Frank I realised that. I'm having problems writing at the moment as I use my tablet a lot and it will insist on going into tapatalk or something similar and I can't get my head round it. I hate change. If this lead isn't for the camcorder I wonder what it is for? Why have there got to be so many different types of lead. Surely there's a better way. It's like when computers first came out and the infighting to get the best operating system. I'm still hoping to get photos from Wembley downloaded but where does the time go to? I have a desk absolutely full of different types of lead, but none a , it's called a IFC-300PCU USB cable, but the pictures I've seen on line show the bit that connects to the camera as a flat plug whereas the socket on the camera has the top edge with a v indent in the middle of it. They're only a few quid I suppose I could just order one on line. On my PC at the mo by the way, not tapatalk!!
12-Jun-2015, 03:25 AM
I didn't get caught in the tablet thing. We don't even have a smartphone at present, but Eileen is pushing to get one. We're having a major problem here with the cost of service. We have a Comcast "bundle", with our land-line phone, internet and cable TV all together in one deal.

Two years or so ago, we decided to get their combination cable TV decoder/DVR, instead of the "set-top box". This gave us access to a very clever recording system, but also required us to buy their "Premium Channels". When we first signed up, the total package was about $160 a month. We took a deep breath and agreed to it. It has since escalated to $275 a month!!!

We're looking into pulling the plug on these thieves and rogues, maybe doing away with the land-line and going to two mobiles, getting rid of the DVR and cancelling the premium channels (which we never watch). Unfortunately, we live in a place ringed by hills and almost 100 miles from where the major channels have their transmitters.We can't get any over-the-air TV, so we're stuck with Comcast for TV, unless Eileen will give up Corrie, which is on a Canadian channel which the competitors (both satellite providers) don't carry.

Decisions, decisions!

Frank
12-Jun-2015, 11:29 AM
I couldn't/wouldn't possibly subscribe to anything like that Frank, it'd bankrupt me. Does i-player work over in the States? On 2nd thoughts isn't i-player BBC? Eileen'd need ITV-player . All these leads, does my head in. We can man an international space station for years but I can't find my (nearly expletive) lead.!! Grrrrr.
12-Jun-2015, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-Jun-2015 03:27 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Audrey:

Son-in-law found a Samsung portable CD/DVD drive at a local thrift store, still in its factory wrappings. He paid $4 for it! I haven't got round to loading the software yet. I checked the retail price and it was originally $67. I think we got a "real deal". The thumb drive I'm using has a large capacity, so , although it's a bit of a chore, I'm getting things done.

If only learning Win 8.1 was as easy!

Noel:

We don't have an option with regards to TV service. If we want to watch anything. it has to be on cable. An over-the-air antenna can't pick anything up. There's another supplier in the area for the same services we get from Comcast and they're a little bit cheaper. Their TV service is satellite based, so you get a receiver dish on your roof, about 30" diameter and you're limited to US stations only. They're also very user unfriendly and complicated to use. We know several people who've tried the service and who switched back to Comcast after only a few months.

I haven't asked Comcast for the prices on individual services yet, but I'm not confident that "un-bundling" will save much.

Frank
13-Jun-2015, 02:51 PM
Audrey:

I think it's more likely that I'll trade my Microsoft lap-top for an Apple! I'm really ticked off at MS for screwing things up so badly! Since the lap-top came with 8.1, I'd have to go out and buy a Win 7 download. Since I'm moving from 11 years of using XP, I'm not sure Win 7 would be any easier a transition.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
13-Jun-2015, 08:37 PM
all our programs are Cable Frank, £36 a month for the TV, Phone and Wifi package from Virgin. Sky is a bit more expensive but still only around £50-£60. Your prices are unbelievably high aren't they? Back to my camcorder I did try Maplin and Currys today but they couldn't help. Think I'll just have to bite the bullet ( where did that expression come from) and buy on line. Well done with the purchase though Frank, rooting round in our garage last week I found a 20 something years old Amiga with games and a rather battered Euphonium which I'm sorry to say went to the scrap heap. But was quickly pulled out of the skip by a worker who said "it must be worth a bob or two for the brass. Worth a lot more as an instrument I would have thought but at times you just have to get rid.
13-Jun-2015, 11:26 PM
You get a very good deal compared to ours, Noel. When we first started out with Comcast, we just had basic TV and it was $45 a month. Then our local phone company, Verizon, decided to get out of the land-line business and Comcast bought them out, so both services came on the same bill. A short while later, our ISP sold out to Comcast. That was about 5 years ago.

Initially, the three bills added together were roughly the same as the combined bill from Comcast. The land-line telephone was still powered from Comcast's wiring. Next, Comcast increased its internet speed substantially and bumped the price up to around $100 a month. We had a great number of reliability issues with the faster modem, having 5 different devices in less than a year.

Then, along came a new technology modem, designed to replace the previous troublesome type. It combined a WiFi router, a modem and a "telephony gateway" into one box. This put the land-line through the gateway and made the phone dependent on the house power. We're on our third one of those in three years. By this time, the price had risen to about $140 a month.

Our old analog VCR chose to die shortly after the new "gateway" showed up and we decided to go with Comcast's DVR as a replacement. This required us to sign up for the "Premium Channel" package and the price went up to $175. Since then, for no obvious reason, the price has climbed steadily by an additional $100.

I'm going to go into the Comcast office next week to try and get a significant reduction. We'll probably get our own DVR and revert to the set-top converter box. I might try getting the premium channels deleted and keep their DVR if we can get about $100 knocked off the monthly bill.

The final option is to go over to cell phones, drop the land-line and switch to a cheaper competitor who uses satellite TV.

Frank
14-Jun-2015, 03:07 PM
Audrey:

Eileen has an iPad, so I've already had some exposure to how Apple products work. I can't say I understand their way of doing things either! Maybe Windows 10 will be easier, though they've already said it's "optimised for touch screens and smart-phones".

Frank