Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
connecting camcorder to pc.
17-Jun-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: connecting camcorder to pc.
The ipad is superb, wish I could afford one. However season ticket to North End takes priority.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Jun-2015, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-Jun-2015 03:28 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Noel:

I've been working with Windows since version 3.0, so I didn't expect the sort of grief 8.1 has given me. I've used XP for the last 11 years, since the versions that followed it all got poor reports.

My overall computing experience goes back to 1966, working with ALGOL on an Elliott 803 at Coventry Technical College. I've also done real-time FORTRAN and two different assembly languages in flight simulators.

I like how the iPad works, but don't like not knowing how. For me, the screen is too small and I hate touch screens. If I were to switch to an Apple device it would be a lap-top with a keyboard, like the Dell 15.6" one I just got. I'll be soldiering on with this thing for a while yet.

I downloaded Open Office, which seems to translate MSWord ".doc" files OK. Haven't tried to translate the ".docx" format yet. Also, I have no idea if people who have MSWord will be able to translate the Open Office format if I send a message attachment that uses it.

I've also got an 8.1 version of the free photo editor "Paint.net". I'll be buying an 8.1 compatible version of "Quicken" shortly. Java, which I need for one of Eileen's daily crossword downloads, is giving me a bit of grief. It installed OK on the "default" browser (IE 11), but I haven't managed to install it on the secondary browser (Google Chrome) yet.

The other bits that aren't right yet are the date & time on the bottom right of the screen I want the clock in 24-hour display style, the date in "17 JUN 2015" style and the day to be shown. Still looking for where those can be changed.

Frank
17-Jun-2015, 06:45 PM
I liked the 3.1 version, we used it a lot at work and at home. I'm stuck with Vista now which is fine but I also find the android OS easy and simple to use. But after Vista, windows is a nogo for me. I tried 7 on a friend's machine and was totally flummoxed. I think they've made it too complicated for a someone like me who doesn't like change.