Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Climate Change?
18-Jul-2015, 06:00 AM
Climate Change?
In our town, along with most of Western Washington State, late June and early July, after schools are out, can be really crappy weather. Our local airport weather reporting radio can almost repeat the same report for three or four weeks. It's "1000 broken, 2000 overcast, 60 degrees, rain and fog".

This year, we've had spectacularly good weather, clear blue skies, temps in the mid 70's and no precip for about 6 weeks. Trees are dying, unfortunately, and the lawn would blow up if a spark hit it.

Climate change? We're likely to have a water shortage issue in a couple more weeks. This is supposed to be the "Pacific North Wet"!

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Jul-2015, 08:51 PM
RE: Climate Change?
Doing better than us then Frank, around 17C here and so far waiting for summer to begin as Autumn nears.
19-Jul-2015, 05:06 AM
I was just observing what has happened this year. We've been residents of Western Washington State for all but three of the last 47 years and it's never been this warm and dry. It's only mid-July and already our maple trees are dropping their leaves.

Snowfall in the mountains last winter was only about 15% of normal and there's talk of water rationing in many communities.

As far as national reporting is concerned, we're so far out in left field (on the west coast and only 50 miles from the border with Canada) we're never in the national news-reporting spotlight, so we're very rarely mentioned. We still wouldn't swap it for anywhere else!

Frank
19-Jul-2015, 10:16 AM
My nephew lives in SF. Personally I'd sooner live somewhere else. Timebomb waiting to happen!?
19-Jul-2015, 03:41 PM
San Francisco is a beautiful city and has a wonderfully mild climate. However, it is outrageously expensive. Even old, dilapidated small houses are $1 million - if you can find one. IIRC, the median selling price for homes (including condos) is up around $2M.

We have a bungalow (3-bedrooms, two bathrooms 2-car garage and about 1700 square feet), across the street from houses on the marina waterfront. Ours is worth about $275K (we paid $185K for it 16 years ago). Those across the street are $700K and up for pretty much the same size house, but they're on dredged, deep-water channels with 50' docks. The marina is salt-water and goes out to the coastal waters around Vancouver Island, Puget Sound and north to Alaska.

SF is on ground much more seismically active than our area. We've only had one earthquake since we moved here (2001). The last one before that was 1968, just after we emigrated. Both were fairly mild. The 01 quake was centered about 130 miles south of us.

One of the national magazines recently published an article predicting a really big quake was probable "at some time in the future" that would turn all of the Washington, Oregon and Northern California coastal plain into sea floor. We'll wait and maybe see! More likely our great-great-great grandchildren might be around to see it.

Frank
20-Jul-2015, 07:03 AM
This is the longest and coldest winter I have witnessed in Australia, yesterday there were news reports of snow in Queensland - never heard of.
21-Jul-2015, 10:12 AM
This is the longest and coldest and wettest summer I can remember Peter, and the rain couldn't even help out poor old England cricket team. I had my CH cracked on last night would you believe, mid July and heating needed.
23-Jul-2015, 05:12 AM
We won't mention the cricket Noel - Shall we Sad
24-Jul-2015, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 24-Jul-2015 09:15 AM by noel.)
Probably better not to Peter.

Back to San F, my nephew earns very big money so can afford the housing. Being a bit of a countryside lover I could not live in a city no matter how beautiful. Our big city London is horrendous to visit, millions of people, dirty streets, horrendous traffic. It has all the top West end shows and impressive buildings too many to list which are worth seeing, but how good to get back to Farington Moss and peace and quiet.
24-Jul-2015, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't want to live in a big city either, Noel, though our cities around here aren't nearly as bad as London or Birmingham. Anacortes is a fairly small town (18,000 population) and a very friendly place, though it covers a lot of ground. It's about 5 miles from our neighborhood into the center of town.

Countryside is within a couple of miles of home, a good bit of it within the town boundaries. The only times we have traffic issues is when a ferry from the San Juan islands or Vancouver Island has just docked. Those boats carry about 150 cars, and are often full in summer, particularly on weekend days. There's a run every 90 minutes or so at this time of year. The road from the ferry terminal into town is just a 2-lane residential street.

We've become acquainted with the schedules and try to avoid getting in the back-ups.

Frank