Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved on
I moved to Glastonbury about two years ago, after living all my young life in Leyland.

Glastonbury is a small but colourful little town in Somerset, most of you will know it for The Glastonbury Festival(which is back on this year). The Festival isn't actually in Glastonbury but takes place on a farm in Pilton, about six miles away.

My first impressions of Somerset are, "ooohhh arrhhh" and lots of cider. The cider is an acquired taste, not the sparkling stuff you get in bottles. But most of all it's a beautiful place to be, especially in the summer.

The last time I was in Leyland, the town centre still looked like a bomb site, will they ever develop it? I know this has been going on for over thirty years... but maybe we could talk about that in another thread.

Martin
In The Pink
Martin ~
It still looks like a bomb site,but there is hope in the form of tesco
mind you once youve seen one supermarket youve seen them all,unless they build something else along with it,who knows,
whats 30 years or more?
what ever was wrong with the old co-op,they where the days going up that escalator. and down the steps-dont think they had a down escalator?
anyone remember?

Edited by - julie on 16 Apr 2002 21:32:30
Hi Julie and welcome to the forum.
I agree that the town needs more than just a supermarket, a few user friendly buildings, shops, places to go etc...
When I said it's been going on for thirty years or more, I meant the supposed redevelopment. Metrolands starting buying up areas of land in Leyland many years ago, who remembers the chemist and natwest bank oposite where the co op used to be, towards the Cross?
As for the co op, I only remember an up escalator, It used to take me a while to get on it when I was a youngster, I think I've got the hang of those things now, I've had lots of training on the London underground.

Martin
In The Pink
Martin ~
I hope the new development at the Cross works out, it has been a mess for years. It used to be such a nice place to shop. Who remembers 'Heatons', what a fabulous place, far more than an ironmongers, they sold everything to do with hardware, and more besides, there was always a smell of 'Pink Parafin'. Remember 'Brindles' bike shop ? Mr. Brindle always smoked a pipe that stank and his wife suffered from allergies to everything. Then there was 'Bakers' the chemist, a really good chemist who was relied upon as a doctor as often as not. He even made his own medicines, Bakers Breatheze was as good as any for a chesty cough, and better than most.
Mr. Baker was highly respected
There are many more, but I'll save them for future E-mails. Unless someone else remembers.
Hi John
When I was very young, I remember a chemist and a bank on the left hand side as you came from the cross. These were knocked down as part of the supposed redevelopment. They don't seem to have made much progress since then.

Martin
In The Pink
Martin ~
About The Cross area- I do remember Brindle's bike shop, I got my first new bike there, a 'Dawes Diana' with three speed Sturmey Archer gears. There were some iron railings nearby where I got my head stuck... anyone remember on the same row was Knights ice-cream shop? Home-made, creamy yellow ice-cream with lumps of ice in it, as good as Robinson's.
The land where the new Tescos is being built was the site of the old fair until the mid Seventies, when it was turned into a car-park . Around this time I met some of the fair folk in The Eagle and they told me that the piece of land had been left, yonks ago,to the people of Leyland to be used in perpetuity for Public gatherings, fairs etc. They had been to see ' the Powers That Be ' about this, but, guess what? the original deed of gift had been lost-surprise, surprise!
quote:

I moved to Glastonbury about two years ago, after living all my young life in Leyland.

Glastonbury is a small but colourful little town in Somerset, most of you will know it for The Glastonbury Festival(which is back on this year). The Festival isn't actually in Glastonbury but takes place on a farm in Pilton, about six miles away.

I moved to Dilton Marsh on the borders of Somerset and Wiltshire 24 years ago but as my wife couldn't settle finding the locals very reserved we moved back . The Town still looked like a bomb site the only thing that had changed was outside the town, the Sainsbury development and the new road by-passing Bamber Bridge.
Hi, both my husband and myself remember the co-op well. My earlist memory (going back a long way now) is the row of terraced shops and houses knocked down to make way for the co-op. Peter Noon came to officially open the co-op, I remember 2 girls in my class stayed off school to watch him, unfortunaltly they got caught!
Does anyone remember the famous Leyland Pram race, I think every Easter Monday? Also the pub next to the Ship Inn on Towngate, the Seven Stars. Run by a women (I won't say her nick name but many will remember) summer or winter she had a fire burning.
I went to Balshaws and my husband went to Wellfield, we have many memories of Leyland. We only live a few miles away now but rarely visit, not much left to see now.
Yes I remember the pram race well. Grown men dressed as babies , a pint , or was it half a pint at every pub . It was a great laugh . I think they used to turn around at the Rose and Crown in Farington.
brave men!!!! I was at Balshaws also by the way left 1964.
quote:

Peter Noon came to officially open the co-op, I remember 2 girls in my class stayed off school to watch him, unfortunaltly they got caught!

They must have been young to be bunking off school? <g> I'm 2 years older than you and (though the memory's not what it was!) I was at primary school when Peter Noone was in the charts.... I thought! I remember my gran really liked Peter Noone because he was so clean cut and nice looking!