Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows 10
06-Aug-2015, 11:46 AM
Windows 10
Anyone taken advantage of the free download for windows 10 yet ? Am undecided what to do as am quite happy using 7 .
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-Aug-2015, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-Aug-2015 03:14 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Windows 10
Lucky you, to have Win7! My recently purchased lap-top came with that turkey 8.1. After 11 years with XP, I can't understand Microsoft's business plan in sticking the world with 8.1 (or several of its equally inept predecessors). I'll be getting Win 10 and it had better be a big improvement and easy to use, or I'll become an Apple user. DW's iPad is a cinch to use, though I'm not a fan of touch-screens.

I hope Microsoft has finally awakened to the fact that their customer base isn't all computer nerds like them.

Frank
07-Aug-2015, 09:37 AM
I'm on Vista and it's not free for me. Odd for MS to give something away for free I'd try it if I could, but I can't, as Orville the duck used to sing.
07-Aug-2015, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-Aug-2015 03:23 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Audrey:

I'm going to wait a while also. MS just released a massive update to W-10. Why would it need one two days after it was released? It sounds like MS has screwed up big-time again! W-8 users have up to a year to sign up, so I'll at least wait until early next year, listening to early adopters opinions meanwhile. Since I avoided all the versions between XP and 8.1, I'm not in any particular hurry.

After using Eileen's iPad a few times, my loyalty to those clowns in Redmond has definitely been diluted.

Frank
07-Aug-2015, 03:35 PM
Well all your comments have been noted and I think along with Frank I'll hang on a month or two and stick with what I know and like.
07-Aug-2015, 04:22 PM
Windows 10 free download, but they do not tell you all games will cost, so if you are a gamer stick with what you have got..................

djh
07-Aug-2015, 09:14 PM
Fiverise, you're lucky you're using something you like. That's assuredly not the case for me with Win 8.1. I'll have to get used to it, but it's certainly not easy. ALGOL, FORTRAN and even assembly languages were easier to learn!

I'm not a gamer, Dave, so the that extra cost isn't an issue for me. I did have to get a new version of the banking program "Quicken" and my really good, dedicated HP100 photo printer is not 8.1 compatible. My main printer is an Epson 2540, which claims to be "photo quality", but I haven't tried it yet.

Frank
08-Aug-2015, 09:20 PM
We have installed Windows 10 on our desktop (previously Win7) and our laptop (Win 8). Sol far so good, booting up and shutting down seem quicker. I deactivated the sign in for the desktop as we don't need it.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-Aug-2015, 10:56 AM
Windows 10 has been built for mobiles, tablets and desktops so you should get consistency across devices.

The windows start button is back. On our windows 7 machine it's fairly quick. For windows 8 users, the tiled screen has gone. You can see all of your tiles from the start menu.

It has the speaking service Cortana but I haven't really used that yet.

Internet Explorer has been replaced by Edge browser which looks a little bit like Chrome. One interesting feature is that you can draw on a webpage and share it with other people.

Martin ~
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Martin for this post
12-Aug-2015, 07:56 PM
I had a couple of driver issues but managed to fix them easily.

Martin ~