Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ASHOK LEYLAND
22-Sep-2015, 08:22 AM
ASHOK LEYLAND
I'm currently doing some work in Qatar and all the buses are ASHOK LEYLAND, Where did this come from?????????
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
22-Sep-2015, 10:08 AM
RE: ASHOK LEYLAND
Peter, thanks for that, nice to see Leyands live on in another place.

djh
23-Sep-2015, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 23-Sep-2015 01:37 AM by anacortesdamp.)
Peter:

I understand Ashok-Leyland is an Indian joint venture with Leyland, dating back to the years just after WW2. Their pre-war buses were all imported Leylands and they wanted to continue the line with locally built vehicles. Leyland Motors signed up to help them get going, including copies of the engineering and tooling. I hadn't realised Ashok-Leyland exported their vehicles.

How current are those buses you're seeing? Are they the old half-cab/rear platform types or do they have the Atlanteans and Olympians?

I'm not sure if the Ashok connection survived the LML decline and eventual purchase of the bus side by Volvo. We've been a long way from Leyland for some time (almost 50 years!) and I haven't been back for at least 20 years.

Frank
23-Sep-2015, 03:40 AM
I understand that after India gained its independence after WW2, Leyland buses were so popular and in such demand for route expansion, that Leyland Motors joined up with an Indian vehicle maker and formed Ashok-Leyland. They duplicated most of the tooling and started out building the "Titan" double-decker about 1950. They're still in business and I think are still building the Leyland designs from the period before the Volvo buyout.

Frank
23-Sep-2015, 06:21 AM
http://www.ashokleyland.com/product/buses
23-Sep-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks Noel, the Leyland - Ashok models look very modern, It shows that the Leyland Motors demise caused by government interference over the years that the Leyland Motors product was a world leader, so much so that it can live on and thrive in another country is proof positive that the Leyland engineering was and is still the best, when Leyland Motors was forced by the Wilson government to take over the ailing midlands car groups we at Leylands had made a handsome 11 million profit, turned into a 37 million pounds loss overnight all to save suppliers like GKN etc, Lord Stokes was not impressed..................

djh
23-Sep-2015, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 23-Sep-2015 03:09 PM by anacortesdamp.)
It's interesting that many of the models were 5-speed synchro-mesh transmissions. Doesn't look as though the "Self Changing Gears" transmission made it to India.

The Wilson government had a lot to answer for over the years, but the LML/BMC forced merger was one of the worst. It allowed the worst of the union trouble makers from the Midlands to stir up all kinds of grief when they transferred to Leyland. Their policies, particularly the wages freeze of 1966/67, were the direct cause of us deciding to emigrate.

Frank

Admin:

Post #4 was an early version of Post #3 and I thought I'd deleted it. I'd appreciate you doing so.

Frank
23-Sep-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks Guys

These buses look very new, Qatar has so much cash I can't see them limping along with old buses, the company must still be in business and selling under that name.

On the vehicle front, when I flew out of Doha the other week they were selling tickets at 120 dollars apiece for a raffle for a brand new matt black metal finish Maserati and Soft tail Harley Davidson combo . On the way back the week before last they had changed the raffle to a Top of the range BMW. When I went to do my grocery shopping in the hamlet of Mesaieed the local "Spar" equivalent give you a raffle ticket for every 50 Rials spent for a draw to win 3 Mercedes 4WD's.

I filled my tank up from 1/2 full to full (you will note I am a glass half full person Smile Smile ) for the equivalent of 3 pounds and 60p.

Ai'nt life grand Smile
23-Sep-2015, 08:18 PM
Frank is right about the BMC deal and you Peter sound very happy with your own move from Leyland, hope you win the Merc`s and send one to me here in Crete.

djh
24-Sep-2015, 05:10 AM
I'd be interested to hear how many of the ex-pat members of the forum left the UK in that 1965 to late 1968 Wilson era. IIRC, Boeing hired 20,000 engineers from various European countries in that time frame. I think around 8000 BAC guys were hired.

Shortly after the TSR-2 cancellation, Boeing took over three floors of a Lytham hotel, bringing a number of personnel/hiring people and engineering managers to stay there and set up a block of interview rooms. IIRC, they hired a large number of lead engineers along with their subordinates as teams. It was just a couple of months after the TSR-2 cancellation, when around 6000 BAC (EE-Lancs and Vickers) people were declared redundant.

Boeing wasn't all wine and roses. I got laid off in February 1971 and, after 6 weeks out of work, I was hired to work for a contract company at NASA-Langley in Virginia and stayed for three years. Boeing re-hired me in August 1974 and paid to bring us back to the Seattle area. I worked there until taking early retirement in 1998.

Frank