Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ASHOK LEYLAND
24-Sep-2015, 01:08 PM
RE: ASHOK LEYLAND
Hiya Frank,
My younger Brother John was interviewed in ChCh NZ when graduating BEng(Elect) about 1966, ostensibly to work on Boeing's SST. He was one of 4 of his year who were selected but ultimately they were unable to go to Seattle apparently because Boeing were told they had to hire "from within"

Jerry Threlfall
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
24-Sep-2015, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 24-Sep-2015 03:25 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Your brother was probably disappointed at the time, Jerry, but he avoided a big disaster.When I joined the company, (July 1968) the Seattle area payroll was 103,000 people. The SST was cancelled in late 1970 (I think) and the airline industry took a big dive, starting about the same time. Boeing started laying off people. Just before Easter 1971, I was in a layoff of 7000 people that reduced the headcount to 36,000 and there was one more that year that reduced it to 34,000.

That was when the billboard poster was put up that said "Will the last person leaving Seattle please turn off the lights". Many engineers who had been hired from overseas went home, abandoning their homes. Whole neighborhoods were left empty.

Boeing recovered by mid 1974 and I got back on. I retired 24 years later.

Frank
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
26-Sep-2015, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 26-Sep-2015 04:46 AM by Peter Harris.)
(23-Sep-2015 07:11 PM)Peter Harris Wrote:  Thanks Guys

These buses look very new, Qatar has so much cash I can't see them limping along with old buses, the company must still be in business and selling under that name.

On the vehicle front, when I flew out of Doha the other week they were selling tickets at 120 dollars apiece for a raffle for a brand new matt black metal finish Maserati and Soft tail Harley Davidson combo . On the way back the week before last they had changed the raffle to a Top of the range BMW. When I went to do my grocery shopping in the hamlet of Mesaieed the local "Spar" equivalent give you a raffle ticket for every 50 Rials spent for a draw to win 3 Mercedes 4WD's.

I filled my tank up from 1/2 full to full (you will note I am a glass half full person Smile Smile ) for the equivalent of 3 pounds and 60p.

Ai'nt life grand Smile

The last post by me shows an actual Qatari Ashok Leyland from yesterday

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-Feb-2016, 04:24 PM
(23-Sep-2015 09:24 AM)Dave H Wrote:  Thanks Noel, the Leyland - Ashok models look very modern, It shows that the Leyland Motors demise caused by government interference over the years that the Leyland Motors product was a world leader, so much so that it can live on and thrive in another country is proof positive that the Leyland engineering was and is still the best, when Leyland Motors was forced by the Wilson government to take over the ailing midlands car groups we at Leylands had made a handsome 11 million profit, turned into a 37 million pounds loss overnight all to save suppliers like GKN etc, Lord Stokes was not impressed..................

Dave H, much has been written about the BL merger and I share your pride in the engineering skills that Leyland showed to the world.

However, what are your thoughts on the TL12 and 500 engines? Were Leyland right to launch the T45 with the TL12?
20-Feb-2016, 10:57 AM
Hi BigT, the 500 engine with gasket less face to face fitting was a disaster, launched to early without enough research into the effects of heat on the fitted parts, the concept of a one off engine that could be blown for more power or used as is when wanted was a good idea for the user so they could stock a one off set of spares instead of a multitude of parts for various model ranges, launching the T45 with the the TL12 was ill conceived and helped to bring the proud name of Leylands into disrepute hence the the name the leaker was coined by the transport industry, my thoughts as a Leyland worker.

djh
20-Feb-2016, 04:07 PM
Dave H, I share your concerns with the 500 engine. I was part of Sales and Marketing in the 80's and the flak Leyland took over the engine was of great concern. It was of course the last power unit developed by Leyland engineers.

As for the TL12, an ex AEC unit, Leyland could have bought in Rolls Royce or Cummins units which operators were requesting but Leyland stuck by the TL12 for some time. Were they right? I'm not sure.
21-Feb-2016, 10:05 AM
CPO had engines from Cummins and Rolls Royce and many others in stock, as you say BigT it would have been a better move, one of my many Leyland jobs was as a parts analyst at CPO analysing specs and advising customers on replacement parts.

djh
21-Feb-2016, 12:31 PM
(21-Feb-2016 10:05 AM)Dave H Wrote:  CPO had engines from Cummins and Rolls Royce and many others in stock, as you say BigT it would have been a better move, one of my many Leyland jobs was as a parts analyst at CPO analysing specs and advising customers on replacement parts.

Dave H, it was an S&M decision not to offer Rolls and Cummins in the T45 Roadtrain from day one. I don't think engineering had put forward the spec for type approval either at that stage.

As I indicated before, the TL12 and 500 engines gave Leyland no end of problems in the 70's/80's and on top of this, I saw the last days of fitting the smaller 98 series engine in trucks and agricultural tractors that had come from the BMC stable. That engine was eventually replaced by a smaller Cummins unit and customers flocked back with the Roadrunner.

Yes Dave H, Leyland did and do have fine engineers (and the legacy is out there) but decisions were being taken in the 70's/80's which weren't always the correct ones. The financial constraints were of course severe.
22-Feb-2016, 09:29 AM
Financial constraints were the nature of the beast, Another of my jobs was purchasing and after the launch of new vehicles we were told to get the same parts at vastly reduced package prices, needless to say the new parts at a reduced rate were inferior to the original parts at the launch models sad to say. I don`t know if anyone has written a book of the rise and fall of the transport vehicle giant.

djh
06-Apr-2016, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-Apr-2016 10:57 AM by Peter Harris.)
Back in good old Aus after a nightmare 7 months in the Middle East living in a small town next to a Mosque. For those of you who have not done this - do it and understand why Christians and Muslims should not mix. We bend over backwards to let them in, give them housing, refuge, education, rights and money for nothing. They will not let us build churches, wear what we like, eat what we like, drink what we like or do whatever we like with whomever we like.

If they had no oil they would be eating each other and living in holes dug out of the sand.

Long may the oil and gas prices drop - may ice and water become the new energy source - the things they don't have, to keep them at a level where they belong. I may elaborate on this and the issue of servants when I am more stably sorted out with time to digress Smile for now - Let freedom ring Smile

Ps: send as many of them home as is possible and soon as you possibly can - their countries have money to burn, and you are paying for them all to come into your countries and destroy everything you hold dear - that is their agenda. To destroy everything the west stands for and have you pay for it.