Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Icloud
07-Oct-2015, 06:11 PM
Icloud
I bought the lot from Apple, a iphone, iPad and MacBook Air. I have resisted the temptation to subscribe to iCloud purely because the reminders to join are too intrusive, annoying and too often. I am happy to have common iTunes but iCloud has me worried that all my information will be published or available to all and sundry. When I had a Htc phone I was similarly suspicious of the Google services that automatically mess with your personal photos and documents and you find all your photos emailed to yourself by Google Mail automatically.

Big brother.

What do we think?

Regards

Peter
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Oct-2016, 10:26 PM
RE: Icloud
I don't use Microsoft Cloud storage for similar reasons. They can be such screw-up makers in Redmond, I don't want to rely on them for anything more than the Windows OS, and I'm not very pleased with Windows 10. XP was a much more friendly system and straightforward to use, I never bothered with the intervening versions until my laptop (bought a year ago) came with Win 8.1.

As I mentioned in another post, Win-10 took over without my permission. I'm giving serious thought to abandoning Windows for an Apple product, but I've been using Microsoft since the early 70's.I think Apple might be too big a difference to be able to adapt. Eileen has an iPad, which she loves for the jobs she wants it to do, but my exposure to it has not been very enjoyable. She gets fed up of me saying "I can't figure it out".

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
19-Oct-2016, 10:41 AM
I won't use cloud either for similar reasons. My wife won't even bank on line not trusting the security. I guess I don't particularly have any or much personal stuff to hide apart from credit and bank accounts. Still on Windows Vista as I don't like the upgrades and as ms are no longer supporting Vista I've also installed Ubuntu. Most of my on line stuff though is with the Hudl and android.
19-Oct-2016, 02:54 PM
We do all our financial stuff through the Boeing Employees' Credit Union - bank accounts, mortgage, personal loans. Since its on-line security is military strength, we're comfortable doing things on-line. Our nearest branch is 35 mies away, but they have 2 or 3 ATMs here in town for routine stuff. Their head office is a few miles from SeaTac airport, about 100 miles from Anacortes.

We're thinking of doing a reverse mortgage before year's end, which BECU don't do, so we'll use a local bank for that. Friends have done so, and they say it's a big relief not to have that large payment every month. We plan on using the same bank they used.

Frank D
20-Oct-2016, 06:38 PM
reverse mortgage is something we did Frank. It is a big relief but get one with the lowest possible interest rate is all I would say.
21-Oct-2016, 04:53 AM
Noel:

I think RMs work a bit differently over here. We haven't been to see the expert yet, but I get the impression that, once the mortgage has been reversed, the accumulating post-reversal build-up of debt becomes the burden of your heirs, to be paid off by sale of the house, which should have appreciated. Looking at paperwork, it seems that our house is currently worth about $150,000 more than we owe on it We've been here almost 18 years.

We'll have to see, when we go talk to the guru, maybe early next month. We're hoping that we can roll over a home equity loan we used to buy our motor-home into the package. Getting out from under a $1300/month payment will make life a lot easier. Of course we'll still have to pay the rates, etc, but they're a relatively small percentage. Fingers crossed!