Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
leyland motors 1969 onwards
19-Oct-2015, 06:07 PM
RE: leyland motors 1969 onwards
Yes the tesco shop is there. When bob Barton took over he employed young ladies to fill the cars up. It seemed to work at the time. There used to be a day nursery in front of the golden hill entry from what I remember. I bet that 30000 figure isn't far off
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Oct-2015, 07:19 AM
Frank, in it`s hay day the number of Leyland employees was 33000 across all LML plants, my grandfathers sister lived at Fern Bank in Stanley Street built for the family when they had a small holding near to the railway line, I remember the Damps garage at the junction with Canberra road and Turpin Green and we used it regularly when we lived in the Prefabs at Bryning road, they were built of aluminium and lined with asbestos,sold off as scrap aluminium, the land sold for building the hotel that stands there now it was called the Penguin when it was built but I think the name has changed a number of times since then.

djh
21-Oct-2015, 09:00 AM
The hotel's now called The Best Western Leyland. A former member started a thread about the prefabs 12 years ago .http://forum.leylandtown.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=293
21-Oct-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 21-Oct-2015 03:14 PM by anacortesdamp.)
The other post-WW2 prefabs were close to our old Church Road home. They had concrete and pebble outside walls, made up of interlocking panels. Two streets had them. One row was on the west side of Sandy Lane from Victoria Terrace, almost to Church Road where the traffic lights are now. A second row, backs to the first, were on on the east side of the street facing the "Rec." (Eden Street?) as far as the corner where Tomlinson's sawmill was located. That route wasn't the major thoroughfare it has become since Tesco was built, as Towngate went directly north from the Cross, past the east end of Westgate, across what is now the Tesco car park.

Those prefabs were eventually demolished, but I don't remember when (mid-1960s perhaps?).

Frank