Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Noob with a Leyland 154 Cranvel backhoe
17-Oct-2015, 01:07 AM
Noob with a Leyland 154 Cranvel backhoe
Hi all,

Yep another noob.

New to the world of Leyland. Already have another tractor with FEL and 3 pt that's mostly doing tow motor duties in the yard.

Needed a backhoe for various tasks, and a 154 came up locally.

Me, well I'm a self confessed buildaholic Smile , so the hoe will certainally get some use.

Jatt
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Oct-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: Noob with a Leyland 154 Cranvel backhoe
Welcome jatt, all noobees help to enrich the news on the forum.

djh
19-Oct-2015, 09:28 AM
Welcome Jatt. The more the merrier.
19-Oct-2015, 01:35 PM
I wasn't aware that tractors and backhoes existed under the "Leyland" nameplate. I assume they were made by one of the BMC companies (unless Massey Ferguson were part of the big merger). When I had a job in Coventry, I used to pass the M-F factory on the way to work.

Frank
19-Oct-2015, 03:25 PM
May be that goes back along way, they started with a steam lawnmower for Rugby school so it is possible that they made tractors and other machines in their development program, may be someone with the development history of Leyland Motors can shed more light on the subject.

djh
20-Oct-2015, 05:16 PM
Back then, LML was "The Lancashire Steam Wagon Company". It started out in the Towngate premises (called Water Street then) where our family business was later founded. They made the Rugby steam lawn-mower and another steam-powered one for Leyland Cricket Club.

The Steam Wagon founder's dad (last name Sumner) was a blacksmith. My great-great grandfather, who had migrated from the Isle of Wight, bought out the smithy and expanded it into a jobbing machine-shop. The original Ironmongery was added later and my Dad was the shop manager. After the big re-model of the shop and its expansion into household goods and decorative brass-ware, he decided to leave the family business and go into the wholesale hardware trade (mid 1960s, I think).

As a youngster (I was maybe 4 at the time) I vaguely remember there being a full-size "Leyland" truck (about the size of the later "Comet") upstairs over the shop. Apparently the two young men had designed and built it. When Mr. Sumner asked how they were going to get it down to the street, the reply was along the lines of "Oh, we didn't think about that", and they went out into the backyard and built another one. My grandfather had the one upstairs broken up and taken away for scrap.

Frank
20-Oct-2015, 08:31 PM
If you take a look on YOU TUBE you will find loads of vidio clips of Leyland tractors. It seems the Leyland name was taken by the tractor division of BMC which was called Nuffield, the name of Viscount Nuffield (William Morris) the founder of Morris motors.

frank h.
21-Oct-2015, 08:37 AM
I do remember the Leyland Thomas racing car driven by the engineer Parry Thomas who died in the car when the drive chain snapped and cut him in half, just thinking back on Leyland products over time.

djh
21-Oct-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 21-Oct-2015 10:49 AM by Martin.)
On a walk earlier this year we stumbled across this in a field.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=58]

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Martin for this post
22-Oct-2015, 01:23 PM
(21-Oct-2015 08:37 AM)Dave H Wrote:  I do remember the Leyland Thomas racing car driven by the engineer Parry Thomas who died in the car when the drive chain snapped and cut him in half, just thinking back on Leyland products over time.
There's an excellent web site for Parry-Thomas http://www.parry-thomas.co.uk/ from which I have just copied these extracts -
"John Godfrey Parry-Thomas was my great uncle who died in a tragic accident in 1927. He was the son of a vicar and born in Wrexham in April 1884."

"The racing world at this time had many famous characters including Count Zborowski who later died at Monza in 1924. Parry-Thomas was able to buy a potential record breaking car, the Higham Special from Zorowski's estate. It was fitted with a 27,059 cc Liberty aero engine, Benz gearbox and featured a chain final drive.

My great uncle christened the car 'Babs' and after carrying out considerable amount of work took it to Pendine for a crack at the landspeed record. This was in October 1925 but the weather precluded any chance of a record breaking run. To cap it all Henry Seagrave posted a speed of 152.33 mph. In April 1926 Babs was transported back to Pendine at Shell-Mex's expense for another attempt. After a couple of warm-up runs Parry-Thomas achieved a speed of 169.30. A day later he pushed the record over the 170 mph mark. Campbell was among those who sportingly congratulated Parry-Thomas and, in the nature of the challenge, he prepared his own car for another attempt on the record. In January 1927 he achieved a top speed of 174.883 mph.

1926 was undoubtedly his greatest year - as well as numerous race wins he twice broke the mile & Km WLSR then went on to break another 8 speed records in October. 12 successful record attempts in 5 months. He even found time to offer some friendly advice to his friend Sir Malcolm Campbell in February 1927, concerning a gearbox problem in the new 'Blue Bird'. "

"As the competition for the record increased Parry-Thomas wanted another crack at it; he knew Henry Seagrave was to attempt a run for 200 mph, in Florida. He arrived back in Pendine, unwell with 'Flu', in March 1927 and with the assistance of Shell and Dunlop staff began to prepare the car for a run on the beach. After the usual start and warm up procedures had been followed great uncle set off up the beach on a timed run. The car skidded, turned over and over and then slewed round to face the sea. The scene for those first to arrive was not pretty, Parry-Thomas was still in the car, he had a deep cuts to his neck, †partially decapitated and burned. The car was on fire and in order to retrieve the body from the blazing wreck two of Parry-Thomas's crew had the unpleasant task of breaking the legs of the corpse before the fire prevented them reaching it. The coroner's verdict was accidental death and Parry-Thomas was buried at Saint Mary's, Byfleet, Surrey. The car was buried in a big hole on the beach and that could have been the end of the story.
† A popular myth which is untrue is that he was fully decapitated in the crash.
J G Parry-Thomas was buried at Saint Mary's Churchyard, Byfleet Surrey, England"
The web-site continues, with excellent pictures and descriptions of the Leyland Eight in its various configurations.

Jerry Threlfall
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Jerryt for this post