Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
28-Oct-2015, 12:04 PM
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
Thanks Alan, you have jogged my old memory banks, it was Reg and his sister was Hazel, there must be a lot more memories that need a sharp jog, my mother Doris Nixon was a Leylander from Northgate and married my father a from Bolton and became Doris Harrison we moved during the war to south wales then settled in Moreton on the Wirral until I was 21 then I married a leyland girland lived in Leyland until I retired in 2006 and moved to Crete Greece, as a child I visited my Grandfather in Westwood road frequently so I remember snatches of Leyland of those days from 1945 to 1960

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
30-Oct-2015, 03:22 AM
Assuming Ian can see this post (pass it on if not, please Audrey) I'd like to say as a Leylander born and raised, I always had a soft spot for Fishwick's. In the era of drivers and conductors on the old half-cab double deckers, everyone was so friendly and non-judgmental. I'm sure that in my early teens I was an obnoxious juvenile passenger, but I don't remember any nastiness or disrespect by the crews.

When the rush-hour services were so overloaded, the crews were always supportive and often allowed the buses to be overloaded so we could get to our destinations on time.

I'm surprised that in a regulated system, Stagecoach and the blue buses (whatever their company was called) were allowed to muscle in on Fishwick/Ribble franchised routes. We're a long way from Leyland these days (about 5000 miles away) and I'm glad to know that our local services here are county government agencies and somewhat protected from high-powered competition.

For a couple of years after I retired from Boeing, I was a driver for our local bus system. Many places out in the dingle-weeds had spotty service, but its core routes were well served and well used. A couple of routes were frequently overloaded. I remember driving a 55-passenger single decker on an inter-city rush-hour service when I had 72 passengers on board.

Sorry to see the demise of a well-respected, 108-year-old family-run business, chewed to pieces by the big boys. RIP, John Fishwick and Sons - a community corner-post now gone.

Frank Damp - ex -Leylander
now living in Anacortes, Washington State, USA
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
31-Oct-2015, 04:27 PM
(28-Oct-2015 01:05 AM)alanbamber Wrote:  
(25-Oct-2015 11:40 AM)Dave H Wrote:  I remember a lovely couple I think brother and sister who worked for Fishwicks many years ago, he was a driver and his sister a conductress, he had snowy white hair and was a gentleman they lived next to the garage on Golden Hill in the cottages at the front, I think they retired to Cornwall into a residential caravan site at Penzance near the heliport if my memory serves me well, can anyone remember their names?

I remember them. My dad was a driver for Fishwicks in the 1960s and early 1970s - another who didn't pass his test.

I think their names were Reg and Hazel, but it is a long time ago.

I think the surname was Wells but not 100% sure. they retired down Cornwall in the St Michaels Mount / Penzance area
01-Nov-2015, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-Nov-2015 12:50 PM by noel.)
We certainly missed the football special service last night. The bus would park right outside the ground, 20 yard walk to the gates and there it would be again after the game. And always full. Great service thanks Fishwicks. You'll be missed.

more from lep here http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/cashflow...-1-7536870
01-Nov-2015, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Nov-2015 11:01 AM by Dave H.)
Thanks to Audrey for the FB message from Ian, at least now we know the main reason for the closure of Fishwicks, sad but true the larger companies can and do force the closure of small local firms that provide a well need customer related and friendly service , but how ever much we try we cannot turn the clock back.Sad

djh
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Dave H for this post
02-Nov-2015, 04:59 PM
I was born in Leyland in 1967.Leyland as everyone will remember was very busy but a friendly place to live and work. The industries that made Leyland great have all but gone these days leaving a once great town a shadow of its former self!! FB took me and my friends to school during the week and if on the rare occasion we needed to leave Leyland for something they would take us to Preston. These days it seems your ok if you need a curry or a night out but as for anything useful.......well, say no more. Now that FB has gone its almost like the last nail has been hammered in by the mighty who couldn't care less about community thought or wishes etc. Of course change must take place , but at least be sympathetic with it!!!! Leyland has long been a commuter hub for the surrounding areas living in houses that sit on what was the real part of Leyland's fine past. If this sounds like a downer on Leyland then it must ring true ,and frankly , I feel its long past saving! All the books and photos of old Leyland which are available these days always show busy times with FB somewhere in the background, and hoards of folk emanating from the motor works on Goldenhill and Hough lane. I moved out some 10 years ago to get work as there really wasn't much doing in Leyand,and when folk ask where I was from and I mention Leyland ( especially the younger ones) ,I,m frequently asked if I know certain family names as they are well known for drugs etc? Of course they are everywhere,but it shows Leyland isn't known for its trucks, buses, paint, rubber,etc etc anymore.
RIP LEYLAND !!!!!
02-Nov-2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the forum stuH and a nail on head there. Just to add to the involvement of Stagecoach, going past The Rose pub on Stanifield lane and within a minute at the most were 4 Stagecoach buses, a 109A followed by 3 111 buses. Someone's got the schedules wrong.
03-Nov-2015, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-Nov-2015 04:22 AM by anacortesdamp.)
Noel, they didn't have the schedules wrong, they were just using their large company power to steal Fishwick's regular passengers by being nasty bullies (so sue me in the US court system you assholes!). Unfortunately, since passengers took the first bus that showed up, Fishwick's load factors dived to where they couldn't make it any more. If passengers had declined to board any company other than JF&S, they might have survived.

Frank
18-Nov-2015, 10:43 PM
Actually Audrey there was no Fishwick's to overcome when I wrote the bit that Frank commented on. But I let it pass. And you're right, the schedule is still not good. My wife waited 20 minutes for the 111 bus on Monday then 2 came!!
19-Nov-2015, 03:11 PM
(19-Nov-2015 08:36 AM)audpluswesties Wrote:  Must admit I'm perhaps too much in the mindset of retired car driver - these posts make me think how difficult the changes are for those who have to go by the clock

Wife has also commented on the fact that the seats and interiors aren't as nice as Fishwick's and the driver, she said is isolated from passengers. Which might be a good or bad thing? I haven't seen any of the ex-Fishwick's drivers on the 111 route yet.