Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
21-Dec-2018, 08:55 PM
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
Noel:

How often do the services run nowadays? When we were still living in or frequently visiting Leyland (before we emigrated), the 111 used to be every 15 minutes, the 109 every half hour and the 113 every hour.

I think the Fishwick service that ran to Chorley along Bent Lane, Wigan Road and then down under the railway onto the dual-carriageway from Euxton to Chorley (coming out by Chorley Hospital) was also half-hourly. Does that one still run? My maternal grand-parents lived at 168 Bent Lane, just where the uphill "ramp" went up to meet Turpin Green Lane at the railway bridge, so we used that service fairly frequently.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
22-Dec-2018, 11:15 AM
Stage coach run the local buses now Frank and Preston bus which is a smaller private company centres mainly on the city. The 111 is every 12 minutes you get the various times herehttps://www.rhttps://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/merseyside-and-south-lancashire/111/preston-leyland/xkao111.o
The 109 still runs every 30 minutes along Wigan Road but there's a 109A as well now that I've not got my head round yet. My wife caught the 114 bus back from Preston the other day thinking it would be a straight journey back as it comes through whitestake and drops off for us by the St Paul's Church but what a trip. She said, all round little estates in higher Penwortham and lower Penwortham it took 40 minutes and we live just 3 miles from the city http://www.prestonbus.co.uk/services/114...y_472.html
22-Dec-2018, 04:33 PM
It must take a special skill to make Preston to Leyland a 40-minute bus ride! A 111 every 12 minutes is pretty good service - is it still the old route from Earnshaw Bridge via Leyland Lane, Fox Lane through the Tesco by-pass, then Towngate, Hough Lane etc?

Maybe the 109A is the old Fishwick route to Chorley along Bent Lane, Wigan Road and then the dual carriageway to Chorley hospital.

Frank D.
22-Dec-2018, 07:39 PM
Yes it's still the same route Frank. Incidentally I got a Christmas card today from 2 former forum members, Bill Hawksworth who I think used to go by the user name William, ex Leyland motors going back to the late 40s he's 94 now and Linda used to go by the user name lady Griffin a reference to balshaws where she left in 54. Good to hear they are both well. 4th might ft
23-Dec-2018, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 23-Dec-2018 01:00 PM by Bill.)
(22-Dec-2018 04:33 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  It must take a special skill to make Preston to Leyland a 40-minute bus ride! A 111 every 12 minutes is pretty good service - is it still the old route from Earnshaw Bridge via Leyland Lane, Fox Lane through the Tesco by-pass, then Towngate, Hough Lane etc?

Maybe the 109A is the old Fishwick route to Chorley along Bent Lane, Wigan Road and then the dual carriageway to Chorley hospital.

Frank D.

As I said a week or so ago on another thread, the 111 route no longer runs along the stretch of Leyland Lane between Earnshaw Bridge and Seven Stars, which is now served only by the reprieved hourly 113 service. Fishwicks of course ran the service from their garage on Golden Hill Lane but after their demise, Stagecoach initially ran the service along Croston Road before using a roundabout on an estate as a turning circle and returning to Preston through Leyland, Farington, Lostock Hall and Penwortham. This was eventually discontinued, presumably on safety grounds and the stretch from Earnshaw Bridge to Seven Stars was left out of the loop (as was Golden Hill Lane of course).

The service is only every 12 minutes during peak hours, Mon-Fri but less frequent later in the day (eventually every 45 mins) and at weekends. As I live close to the now omitted stretch of Leyland Lane, I hardly use the bus anymore. Walking to and from Seven Stars to catch or alight from the bus isn't too bad if it's fine and during the day but no good in heavy rain or late at night after a evening with friends 'up Leyland', when at my age I feel slightly uneasy about walking the stretch alone. As a consequence, I invariably drive and restrict myself to a solitary pint. Thank you Stagecoach.
23-Dec-2018, 09:24 PM
Why is no one from the council kicking off about the way stagecoach is running your services? It's no use running a service every 12 minutes if half the population has no access to it. Leyland has had the same bus service for as long Fishwicks have been running it, why change it?

frank h.
26-Dec-2018, 03:18 PM
i give up with our council Frank, they've approved countless new housing estates people object to, approved the destruction of land by the M6 access at Cuerden for the IKEA project that died a death, watched while stagecoach bullied Fishwick's to the point of closure, approved the building of a multimillion pound recycling centre that residents opposite it objected to and now most of it sis shut down as it's not economical, why would they make any effort to rescue the bus services now?
26-Dec-2018, 09:11 PM
It's no wonder people do their shopping on line if they can't get to the shops, going by car is dificult with no parking in town centers or exorbitant fees to park. Shops are closing on the high street right, left and centre. Businesses are having a hard time everyware.

frank h.
27-Dec-2018, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 27-Dec-2018 07:52 PM by noel.)
My son did all his Christmas shopping online with Amazon. It is cheaper and more convenient. I believe Amazon only pays a small amount of tax, or so I read, I don't understand why but it doesn't help the high street shops unfair competition.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/...little-tax