Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
24-Oct-2015, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 24-Oct-2015 05:31 PM by noel.)
Fishwicks bus closure
Just found out they are ceasing business as of today, 24th October. Article here in the LEP. http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/update-f...-1-7533869
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
25-Oct-2015, 09:55 AM
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
More here on the Preston blog.http://blogpreston.co.uk/2015/10/leyland-based-firm-john-fishwick-sons-bus-service-to-cease-trading/
25-Oct-2015, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 25-Oct-2015 11:41 AM by Dave H.)
I remember a lovely couple I think brother and sister who worked for Fishwicks many years ago, he was a driver and his sister a conductress, he had snowy white hair and was a gentleman they lived next to the garage on Golden Hill in the cottages at the front, I think they retired to Cornwall into a residential caravan site at Penzance near the heliport if my memory serves me well, can anyone remember their names?

djh
26-Oct-2015, 08:41 PM
Did this come as a surprise to you folks in Leyland? Nothing in any of the reports indicates why the shutdown was necessary, or why it was so sudden. Apart from the emergency approval for Stagecoach to take over the 111 service, there doesn't appear to have been any advance planning for alternative operators to take over their other routes or their holiday services.

Several comments in the on-line LEP mention that folks have paid up-front for holiday trips. Seems very sneaky - full service with no advance warning on Friday and then out of business by Saturday night. There'll be a lot of used buses on the market.

Frank
27-Oct-2015, 10:20 AM
Agreed Frank, it is like the banks suddenly pulled the plug on a deal to keep them afloat, unknown to the general public of the area they service.

djh
27-Oct-2015, 12:01 PM
I remember the chap with the mass of white hair, not very tall? Though I wasn't either then. My dad drove for Fishwick up to about late fifties I think, though he said he'd never had to pass a driving test. Sign of the times? It was a complete shock to me Frank, I hadn't heard anything prior to the announcement on Saturday. Facebook I find some of the members on Leyland memories site not ones I would normally add as a friend so tend to avoid it though clearly it has its uses. Amazed to read the buses were on lease, rather sad seeing them all lined up.
27-Oct-2015, 02:29 PM
My Father also Noel never passed a driving test, at the age of 14 he drove the butchers van for the butcher he worked for, the first so he said in Bolton, the butcher bought the van and just said here you are lad You are the driver I am the butcher, then when the licences were made compulsory he was a driver so automatically got one, then when war broke out he was made a corporal in the RASC and taught others to drive 10 ton Macs before going to the theater of war himself.

djh
27-Oct-2015, 04:56 PM
Unbelievable isn't it Dave when you look at all the health and safety rules these days, not to mention compensation culture if 'owt goes wrong.
27-Oct-2015, 07:20 PM
I was born in leyland 1939, when I was 14 I had friends that ranged between 14 and 18, we bought a car through the 18 year old for 10 pounds, we then drove it on a field for a month then took to the road, we crashed into a fence once and drove off but this driving continued in the group car until we in turn took driving test at the required age then and all passed in turn, but this would not happen now a days.

djh
28-Oct-2015, 01:05 AM
(25-Oct-2015 11:40 AM)Dave H Wrote:  I remember a lovely couple I think brother and sister who worked for Fishwicks many years ago, he was a driver and his sister a conductress, he had snowy white hair and was a gentleman they lived next to the garage on Golden Hill in the cottages at the front, I think they retired to Cornwall into a residential caravan site at Penzance near the heliport if my memory serves me well, can anyone remember their names?

I remember them. My dad was a driver for Fishwicks in the 1960s and early 1970s - another who didn't pass his test.

I think their names were Reg and Hazel, but it is a long time ago.