Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
20-Nov-2015, 09:40 PM
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
Today I spotted a Fishwicks double decker on a local school run in Wigan, the logo had been removed but was still in the green livery. On the same subject I payed a visit to Botany Bay last Monday and found a stall selling old photos of Buses, they had a number showing old leyland cross area over various decades with the Fishwicks bus of the era on.

frank h.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Nov-2015, 09:51 PM
That's good Frank. The read an article that the buses were being auctioned off to pay debts. It doesn't seem the same without them.
21-Nov-2015, 09:39 PM
Stagecoach took over my local route into town from Firstbus, they kept to the same schedule and within a couple of weeks introduced afleet of new single deckers with drop down access and places for disabled wheelchairs, pushchairs and better heating.

frank h.
24-Nov-2015, 03:01 PM
Never heard of Firstbus Frank but glad to see Stagecoach have made an improvement.

Meanwhile, the online auction of what is described as a ‘modern, well maintained bus fleet, 38-ton recovery truck and workshop equipment’, is being handled by commercial property advisers GVA Grimley Ltd and opens on December 1. Items for sale include numerous buses, valued at between £4,650 to £18,700 and a breakdown recovery truck valued at £28,000.

Much less valuable items for sale include fuel tanks, vehicle wash, lifts, jacks, tyres, ticketing machines and bus conductor money pouches.

Fishwick’s, green buses were synonymous with the Leyland, South Ribble and Preston areas. The reason given for the firm’s shock closure was “significant cash flow issues”, leaving the directors with little alternative but to bring in administrators. Some 55 jobs were involved, mainly drivers and engineers. But the vast majority are said to have found new jobs. Transport provider Stagecoach has taken on a number of the former Fishwick’s drivers.
26-Nov-2015, 10:23 PM
IIRC, Firstbus was the outfit with the all-blue buses. I remember seeing them on my visits to Leyland when passing through the UK on my Boeing trips. They were often on the 111 service., running in convoy with Fishwick's.

Frank Damp
27-Nov-2015, 10:21 AM
I remember a Blue Bus but thought it was a Bolton company. I thought they were actually called Blue Bus.
Haven't seen them around for a while though. Just found a link to Blue Bus https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bus...h_Services
27-Nov-2015, 10:00 PM
First Bus - is part of First Group, one of the largest opperators in the UK working one fifth of the deregulated market. First Rail - run every sort of railway in UK ie long distance, regional, comuter, and sleeper operations. First Student - largest provider of student transport in North America. Greyhound - inter city coaches serving 48 US states and 10 Canadian Provinces. Their corporate colours are two tone blue with a pink stripe, their logo is a red circle with a white letter f inside.

frank h.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to frank h for this post
28-Nov-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks Frank. I feel like I'm living on another planet at times. I'd never heard of them. There again the only public transport I use is Preston's bus stagecoach and Fishwick's that was. I still expect to see a red Ribble Bus come round the bend.
28-Nov-2015, 08:51 PM
Noel
I think we have to revert to old photos to keep those memories alive, things move on to quickly today we have to rely on computer browsing to keep up.

frank h.
08-Jan-2016, 03:50 PM
(30-Oct-2015 12:43 AM)audpluswesties Wrote:  Copied from FB Leyland Memories:-.

Hi,
This is my first post on here & will probably be my last as I don't really want to know what people had for breakfast etc.
I only joined to read what people wrote about OUR company J Fishwick & Sons I say our as it was not only a family firm, but it felt like a family working there. I have spent most of my working life there & am probably 1 of the few who really know what happened.
I am fed up of reading how Stagecoach have jumped in to save the day! They are one of the reasons for our demise. First of all, Fishwicks were NOT bankrupt, there are numerous reasons for our sad closure. It was run as well as it possibly could be & was not our bosses fault.
1 Passenger numbers were way down from only a year ago, there are just too many cars on the road.
2 The revenue from LCC for the NOW card buss passes was cut down to the bare bones. If you saw a bus full of now card passengers, we only got paid for just over half of them.
3 Stagecoach have flooded the 109 route with busses which hit us hard. you probably saw that there was one of theirs just minutes in front of ours most of the time.
4 We got an e mail last week informing us that Preston Bus had registered to run on all of our routes so they were coming anyway.
The last few years. I was the one to give an induction to any new drivers. One of the things I used to stress was that as a small company, we get to know most of our passengers, that's why you never saw any of our busses with Attack Screens in the cab.
Stagecoach have been very clever in employing our drivers to do the 111 route as people will recognise them whichever bus they are in.
I would like to thank the people of Leyland, Lostock Hall, & Preston who have supported us over the years, & reguarded us as THEIR bus company.
And last but not least I would like to thank Mr J Brindle & Mr J Hustler for providing us with a good standard of living over the years. A testament to them is the fact that we have NEVER had to advertise for drivers,as Fishwicks was known as the place to be!
As our boss said in his last speech on Monday, Sadly, theres just no place in this world anymore for a company such as ours.
Sad but true,
Ian
I totally agree about Stagecoach taking over the routes especially the 109. I was one of the sadly ,few people who would let Stagecoach go by and wait for a Fishwick bus. Stagecoach have probably sunk many local bus services throughout the country with their aggressive scheduling, but who let them compete with Fishwicks on the timing of the routes? They are also to blame. After a terrible experience last Tuesday waiting for the 109 in Euxton, it will be a long time before I use that route again, I would sooner pay Coopers taxis as a few of the other people waiting for a non existent bus did.