Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fishwicks bus closure
10-Jan-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-Jan-2016 08:17 PM by noel.)
RE: Fishwicks bus closure
Nancy , my wife gave up waiting for the 111 bus into Preston. Every 10 minutes or so under Fishwicks but after 20, nothing. She came back home and we went park and ride instead, run by Preston Bus and very reliable.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Jan-2016, 07:34 PM
agreed Noel, when I lived in Leyland We used the park and ride system, best thing since sliced bread.

djh
29-Nov-2018, 09:27 PM
I see the 113 service Preston to Wigan is to cease from January, some talk of Preston Bus taking over part of the route that covers Lancasire. What will happen to the Wigan end? Lancashire county council say they may subsidise the lancs part, Wigan and Standish come under Greater Manchester no talk of them putting any money in the pot. Anyone know any different?

frank h.
30-Nov-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised the 113 is still around. It was an infrequent service, and covered a the 111 route fro Seven Stars to Preston when we lived in Leyland. We'd go to the Cross to get a bus to Preston and having a 113 show up was always a bit of a surprise.

Is the 298 still around? I always thought Blackburn to Earnshaw Bridge was an odd route. I think it went on from Earnshaw Bridge to Southport an one time.

Frank D.
30-Nov-2018, 09:44 PM
You're right Frank, the 298 did go to Southport......it took forever because it went through all the villages by-passed by the main road.
Do you remember the fun of queueing for a Fishwicks bus under the tin lean-to at Fox Street bus station? Tithebarn St wasn't much better either...........
John
(30-Nov-2018 05:29 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  I'm surprised the 113 is still around. It was an infrequent service, and covered a the 111 route fro Seven Stars to Preston when we lived in Leyland. We'd go to the Cross to get a bus to Preston and having a 113 show up was always a bit of a surprise.

Is the 298 still around? I always thought Blackburn to Earnshaw Bridge was an odd route. I think it went on from Earnshaw Bridge to Southport an one time.

Frank D.
01-Dec-2018, 05:20 PM
After I started my apprenticeship at English Electric in 1958, my folks and I bought a Vespa 150 for my commute, as taking a series of buses from Leyland to Warton took almost 2 hours, compared to about 40 minutes on the scooter. I only rode buses when I was dating the lady I later married because she was very uncomfortable on the Vespa. She rode as a passenger on my later "real" motorcycles (an Ariel Leader, then a BSA 500) fairly regularly.

I haven't had a motorised 2-wheeler since we emigrated. I was concerned about reacting in the wrong direction if I didn't have the car driver's reminder of sitting on the opposite side of the vehicle to drive in a LH drive environment. It probably wouldn't be an issue now, after living in the US for 60 years, but I doubt my old bones would even let me get on one! It's also an issue that car drivers often don't see motorcycles in traffic, as they aren't common.

Frank D.
01-Dec-2018, 09:06 PM
I used to use the 113 when dating my now wife traveling to Wigan. One had to catch the last 113 from Wigan at 10-30 which terminated at the old Co-op in Eccleston, to be met by the 113 from Preston also terminating at the Co-op both would then return back where they came from. Some times the Preston bus would not arrive and one had to walk back to the top of Fox Lane.

frank h.
01-Dec-2018, 09:33 PM
The 113 is every hour up to 9pm it now goes through what was the Spurrier Works, now a business park. I used to have a Vespa125 in my youth Frank not much of a lady puller. Later in the 80s I had a Honda 90 to travel the 12 miles to work through the lovely Wiltshire countryside until a young lass on a moped decided to come round a blind corner on the wrong side of the road and smashed into me head on ending up in hospital. I then tried a real bike a Honda cb125 and it scared the life out of me prompting me to get a 2nd car.
01-Dec-2018, 09:51 PM
Noel:

If a 125cc Honda scared you, you'd have had a hard time with my final UK job. I worked at the Experimental/Development Centre of Norton-Villiers, which was based at the Villiers plant in Wolverhampton. I spent 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, riding round England on the prototypes of the Norton Commando 750. We tried to get 500 miles in 8 hours, but I typically only managed 450 miles. Since my route often included the single track roads over the Hardknott and Wrynose passes in the Lake District or similar roads in North Wales, I reckon I did well not to get creamed! I think that was primarily because nobody else was out there on weekdays.

I bailed out of N-V because it was so mis-managed and I had been accepted by Boeing, with expenses paid immigrant visas and travel from LHR to Seattle for all 4 family members (but not our Labrador).

Frank D.