Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new years greetings
01-Jan-2016, 09:44 AM
new years greetings
A Happy and Healthy New year to all at Leyland Forum old and new.

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-Jan-2016, 07:35 PM
RE: new years greetings
Happy new year Dave and everyone else.
01-Jan-2016, 08:34 PM
Happy new year Dave and the rest. Still quite wet min this part of the world, the mildest winter so far I can remember.
02-Jan-2016, 05:02 AM
Best wishes to all for the new year !
02-Jan-2016, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-Jan-2016 01:33 PM by Peter Harris.)
Happy new Year all. I just arrive back in Qatar from Leyland after a secret unannounced visit to see my Mum. We (Wife and Daughter) flew overnight Christmas Eve and landed on Mums doorstep at 11 am Christmas Morning. Had a great time and reacquainted my love affair with Chippys, beer and pie shops. Had a tremendous walk from the Dressers at Wheelton to the Top Lock area - great stuff. My sister lives in Croston and was the luckiest person in town, her street was like a small island sticking out of the water and they didn't get flooding. Dave - you old garden was under water as was my Mums - but the houses didn't get flooded - only the gardens.

Regards

Peter

Aslo had a day out in Blackpool throwing 2p pieces into machines on central pier - cold but great fun - and more fish and chips and Vimto - excellent Smile
02-Jan-2016, 07:55 PM
Well done, Peter. It would have been a big surprise for your Mum. We had most of the family here Christmas Day for an early afternoon dinner. There were 12 of us. Our Japanese family didn't come, as they don't get any days off until New Year and our grand-daughter who lives in Missoula (Montana) couldn't get time off.

We're having a welcome break from our usual dreary winter weather. The last couple of days have been bright, sunny and cold for this area (lows in the mid 20's F). Lots of snow at the ski resorts, two of the mountain passes were closed a couple of days due to avalanches.

I think we'll be back to our usual "800 broken, 1500 overcast, rain and fog" next week.

Best wishes to all for 2016.

Frank & Eileen
03-Jan-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info Peter, very nostalgic, I can never remember our garden being flooded in all the years we lived in Woodlands Drive, there must have been extra heavy rain for that to happen, the fire station yard at the rear was higher ground, so rain spill off may have contributed to it, hope your mum is still well and doing well, she must be getting on a bit now because I am 75 and was in my middle to late 20s when we lived next door, happy days dashing across the station yard with your Dad when the the bell went off over my bed, it used to wake the whole house the adrenaline flowing never knowing what the call may hold , a car accident, a fire, a flood, a cat up a tree, etc etc etc.

djh
04-Jan-2016, 04:55 AM
Hi David

Sad news is I believe the Fire Station is not the fire station any more, the building is there and lots of derelict fire engines and shipping containers but I hear the main fire station has now moved. I don't think the fire houses have any full timers there any more either

Regards

Peter
04-Jan-2016, 05:27 PM
Where has the new fire station gone? it was ideal for the local area in leyland covering a wide area. may be some one will know Peter if you don`t.

djh
04-Jan-2016, 09:55 PM
If you are talking about the one on Broadfield, it was still there just before Christmas, my wife took her scouts group round it. The one near Saintsbury's in cuerden has had a brand new accommodation unit built next to it.