Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
new years greetings
10-Jan-2016, 02:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-Jan-2016 02:14 AM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: new years greetings
Off subject a bit, but following the Fire Station stoires:

When I was at Boeing, I heard an interesting anecdote about firemen's poles.

When the prototype 747 was in late build, the crew who were scheduled to take the first flight were concerned about having to abandon the airplane in an emergency, as they were on the upstairs floor, above the first class cabin. Designers agreed to put a firemen's pole from the flight deck through a hole in the first class cabin through to the cargo bay The pole terminated a couple of inches above a jettisonable panel big enough for a man to fall through after the airplane had been de-pressurized.

Jess Wallick, a pilot that was an instructor when I was in the training simulator group, was the flight engineer on the first flight. It was his task, if the airplane was getting into trouble, to de-pressurize. then go down the pole to the cargo bay and blow the escape panel.

He was sent to a local fire station to learn how to use the pole. Later, a pratice run was done while the airplane was in the hangar with the escape panel removed. In front of the assembled crew, Jess explained how you gripped the pole with your legs and hands to control your rate of descent - "like this" he said, and stepped off with his hands and legs round the pole. He dissapeared at high speed and was found on the hangar floor with two broken ankles.

An investigation showed that the fire station pole he'd been practicing on was 3 inches diameter. The one in the 747 was less than 1". He was out the bottom before he could react. The crew were trained to use the smaller pole.

Frank D
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Jan-2016, 03:17 PM
Ooooh sounds painful
10-Jan-2016, 04:19 PM
Good grief! Bet he didn't try that again in a hurry.
10-Jan-2016, 07:37 PM
OW!!!!!

djh
14-Jan-2016, 02:53 PM
Why do Policemen have bigger balls than Firemen?

Because they sell more tickets - Boom Boom
14-Jan-2016, 05:17 PM
Yer in the wong job Peter

djh
21-Jan-2016, 09:49 PM
I've often though that David. I always enjoyed the Government but somehow the Diplomatic calling wasn't for me Smile
22-Jan-2016, 12:54 PM
What could have been, Sir Peter in the House of Lords. Big Grin

djh