Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What strange weather
18-Sep-2017, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 18-Sep-2017 09:12 PM by noel.)
RE: What strange weather
Alan sorry to take so long in replying. Arrived in Side old town not the humongous city next door. It's baking hot and very humid. I agree with what you say but will reply in more detail when I get back at weekend
Much to write about the Byzantine antiquities here. It has taken my breath away. Enjoyed your descriptive post.

Frank exactly our feelings not wanting to be outlived by our dog . This will be the last. We have decisions to make when we get home . Downsizing sorting out affairs out. Difficult to write about it on my phone and on holiday. A large Vodka would be handy but thanks to the regime over here prices are exorbitant.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-Sep-2017, 04:53 AM
I'm thinking of staying in Istanbul around Christmas. Turkish airlines are doing a deal to pay for a 5 star hotel for 2 nights each way if you fly with them business class and break up the journey with a stop in Istanbul. Sounds like a deal.
Whats the political feel in the City and surrounds???????
21-Sep-2017, 07:50 AM
The political situation is fragile at the moment my cousin's son says he worked in Istanbul for 25 years as a University professor lecturing in fuel economics then had to leave very quickly as the new regime took over and if he and his Turkish wife went back to Istanbul he said they would be arrested and thrown into jail Peter

djh
22-Sep-2017, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the warning David
26-Sep-2017, 07:16 PM
Desperately hoping for a succesful coup against the dictator. He's dragged Turkey back into the 19th Century pre Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. Even statues of Ataturk are disappearing. Having a government ruled by religion can't be right surely. He's banged the price of alcohol up too, a real kill joy :-) :-)
27-Sep-2017, 05:10 AM
It's a sobering (if you'll excuse the pun) vision of the future in many westernised countries, the road to occupation will be different, but the outcome will be the same.
27-Sep-2017, 07:11 PM
Noel, your love of the people is one thing but as a holidaymaker, you cannot change the people or the regime they have, rightly or wrongly if as expats living in Crete the Greece people, God forgive, voted for a similar regime we would undoubtedly leave if forced or not and return to the UK and seek whatever help to rehouse our selves throwing our selves on the state system, I wonder if you would return again next year on holiday knowing what you know now, or seek pastures green...

djh
14-Oct-2017, 10:04 PM
(06-Sep-2017 03:50 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Noel:

Thanks for the condolences. Our experience seems to show that Labradors have a built-in clock that tells them it's time to leave this world at around 14 years of age. Three of ours did that within a few weeks of their 14th birthdays. The new member of the family just turned 9 a few days after we adopted her. Her original family had grown up - kids now teens and 20's and Dad was disabled. Now in our mid-70's, we didn't want a dog that would outlive us and the one we got is very fit and healthy for a 9-year-old and has settled in with us very well.

Frank

Been reading about your dogs Frank......it's very sad to lose such family members. I think perhaps all dogs can make a decision as to when it's time to go - my healthy mastiff was nearly 13 when he refused to go for walks and within a couple of weeks had stopped doing anything, just gave up. I have another now, similar age to your new one, along with a young jack russell (who's very much the boss). I wouldn't be without em.
John
Yesterday, 07:27 PM
They're a very important part of the family. We took our Border Terrier to Grange over sands today. Lovely part of the country and years ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper parents used to take us all to the open air swimming pool. 60 plus years on I was amazed to see the old building still there. Shut down many years ago but still got water in the pool. Little Ben tagged along and got rewarded with part of my bacon roll when we stopped for a bite to eat.
Yesterday, 11:28 PM
John:

We've been "dog people" for a long time. We got our first female yellow Lab when Eileen was expecting our first daughter, whose 52nd birthday was last week. We had to leave her with my brother when we emigrated, since Boeing didn't pay for pet movements. We had one "thoroughbred" mongrel who lived 18 years. Then back to Labs. Our latest one is number 6. The last three were rescues - one from the local Humane Society and the other two through Seattle Pure-breed Rescue Society. The first one was 6 years old at adoption, the second was 8 and this one turned 9 a week after she joined us. She's the most active and healthy-looking of the three.

Noel - it's a long time since we visited Grange, probably in 1965 or so, after getting married but before emigration in '68!

Frank