Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
where is everyone
26-Jul-2016, 08:41 PM
RE: where is everyone
(25-Jul-2016 11:21 AM)Peter Harris Wrote:  Hello all. I'm in hiding since the election here. They have made the worse possible voting decision here leaving the next few years in the hands of the splinter groups and minorities - so nothing will happen till next time Sad

Not too clued up about Australian elections, what's happened to annoy you?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
29-Jul-2016, 07:12 AM
Hung Parliament with radical minorities holding the balance of power.
The economy will be screwed, we will be paying more tax, there will be no work, our superannuation will be worth nothing.

However the big issues like gay marriage, political correctness, female bishops etc will be dominating the agenda - for the next few years.
29-Jul-2016, 06:52 PM
One of the things Cameron was most proud to introduce, gay marriage. Sod the housing crisis, NHS, immigration, concentrate on the important things in life. Best of luck with that.
29-Jul-2016, 08:07 PM
Well said Noel, problem with priorities

djh
08-Sep-2016, 05:24 AM
Wingeing Poms - or are they??????
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entert...e-racists/

Note to readers - "Wogs" here derive from the Mediterranean countries like Greece and Italy, not from where most UK people would think they are from.

Note to readers - a lot more than 50% of the Aussie population are not whites.

Aussie Greeks and Italians also call themselves "Wogs". Melbourne has the largest Greek community in the world outside of Greece.

British "Wogs" like the ones in the story would find the open-ness of the Aussies disconcerting after a lifetime of rigidly applied political correctness preventing anyone from speaking such heresy in the open. When I say, the Aussies, I mean all the non-white ones that call Greeks and Italians "wogs" along with the white ones.
08-Sep-2016, 07:06 PM
I knew the term derived from Italians and Greeks in particular and we have somehow interpreted it as racist. Richie Benaud often referred to the Pakistani touring cricket team as The Pakis. And for some obscure reason that is considered racist. Although Scot isn't neither is Brit.
09-Sep-2016, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-Sep-2016 03:39 AM by Peter Harris.)
They still say "Paki's" on the TV cricket here. Only whites find it offensive for Pakistani's to be called that, the Pakistani's themselves don't seem to be offended at all.

Some of the reports I have seen on the Brexit seem to be equating the vote outcome with some form of inherent racist backlash to the immigrants that have swamped the UK and in the opinion of the racists, taken all the jobs.

I can't believe that to be the case as the original British are now so conditioned to the reverse discrimination laws that saying such a thing openly or doing such a thing covertly would be like the feeling of driving a car without a seatbelt on.
15-Sep-2016, 04:02 AM
Oh Dear
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/3...lim/#page1

and this
https://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/wa...ims/#page1
15-Sep-2016, 02:55 PM
Difficult getting a good signal over here in Turkey. It looks like everyone has given up except me and you Peter. England's full of pc do gooders none more than the good old bbc. You wonder however Alf Garnett every got on screen or chalky white from my neighbour next door? I think it was called.
15-Sep-2016, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 15-Sep-2016 03:26 PM by anacortesdamp.)
When the US network (don't remember which one) picked up the idea of the show with Alf Garnett, they named his equivalent character "Archie Bunker". The very harsh racist tone of the British version was watered down considerably, painting Archie as a bit of a red-neck but not such a bad guy. It was a very popular show for several seasons. I don't think either of the actors who played "Archie" and his wife "Edith" are still alive.

Frank D