Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland in 1964
14-Aug-2016, 06:01 PM
RE: Leyland in 1964
I thought you'd mean earlier Frank and there must be reports of it in Leyland Historical website I would have thought. We left Leyland for 10 years and it was transformed when we came back but I'm talking late 70s . Some interesting stuff here https://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co....age-2.html
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post
15-Aug-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the Historical society link Noel.

If you go on to their Home page then clik on to the Leyland & Farington Co-op society and then the superstore. This page shows photos of various small shops spread around Leyland that were closed down to come together in the double story shop at the heart of the redevelopment at the Cross. There are photos of the development and information and dates. The first stage of the development by Metrolands began with the Co-op superstore in 1970. Most of the land had been lying empty almost 5 years people began to wonder if anything would ever get built.

frank h.
15-Aug-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm surprised to see the original build of the "Towngate Superstore" was in 1970. We emigrated to the US in 1968 and I was sure it had been built and gone out of business before then. Our family (including me) moved from No. 7 Church Road to Hargreaves Avenue about 1961. I'd been an apprentice at English Electric since mid 1958 and graduated college in 1965.

Frank D

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
16-Aug-2016, 08:14 AM
I remember the co-op so called superstore Frank, we used to bank with the co-op in the mid seventies and the bank was upstairs in a corner, quit small but a very ethical company that didn't like me overdrawing, so it didn't last too long with me. A lot of memories on that site, Peter Houghton does a brilliant job maintaining it.
16-Aug-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks from me Noel, the link helped me remember those time, I lived at 8 Woodlands Drive from 61 to late 69 next door to Peter Harris and my pal Johnny Harris, remembering the old cow lane and many other pictures that took me back into nostalgic mode................

djh
18-Aug-2016, 09:05 PM
Cheers Dave. I can't speak highly enough of the work Peter has put into the project.
20-Aug-2016, 02:07 PM
Well we had a viewing of the film, 30 minutes in total , I can't recall the names of the Damps film makers in total. David Hunt who kindly put the film on for us - we'd arrived late and missed the first showing - mentioned George and twin brothers? and the voice over on the film was the wife of Sid? I think he said. I did ask again after the film but he hadn't got the names to hand. There is no digital copy he said and he didn't have the equipment at the moment but was sure there will be one in the future and took my email address so he could let me know when it happens. Others had asked as well. He thought the film might be on the photographic web site http://www.leyland-photographic-society....gramme.php but I can't see it.
20-Aug-2016, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 20-Aug-2016 03:15 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Thanks, Noel. I/m surprised that my Uncle George was involved. The twin brothers, Jack and Bert along with their other brothers Charlie (the eldest)and Sid, were George's cousins and not particularly close. Three of the four were born in Australia and Sid was born in Leyland after the family returned. He was named after the Australian city.

The female commentator would certainly be Sid's wife, as they were both into home movies and still photography and were neighbours of the twins. Neither of the twins was married and they lived together on Church Road, across from Balshaw's. Incidentally, Jack was the only person of that generation who didn't work in the family business, though George left it to go to LML, where he was a test driver. Jack was a draftsman and eventually became head of the drawing offices at BAC-Warton later in his career.

Charlie was a neighbour of yours. He and family lived in one of the semis across from the Conservative Club, just to the Preston side of Mill Street. All three of his daughters emigrated to Australia in the 1960s.

Frank D
20-Aug-2016, 08:09 PM
Yes we lived a couple of houses away from Haydocks butchers at the time I wasn't aware of him but my sister Katrina knows a Barbara Damp? The film was an exhibition really about Leyland industry agriculture, churches and the schoolsnot a lot about Leyland town itself. Just as Worden school came on our 8 year old granddaughter was desperate for the loo and my wife missed the 5th year girls typing, they'd have been the same year as my wife and that's where she learnt to type so it was a bit annoying. All in all a well put together film.
20-Aug-2016, 09:53 PM
Barbara is my Uncle Charlie's eldest daughter. She never married, as far as I know, and was living in Australia last time I heard of her (a few years back). I think she's just a bit older than me (I'll be 75 in a few weeks). I can't remember the two younger girls' names. They both married young men of Pakistani descent (both from Preston) and emigrated to Oz soon afterwards.

Frank D