Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland in 1964
21-Aug-2016, 02:53 PM
RE: Leyland in 1964
One thing the man projecting the film, a D. Hunt, and I'm assuming this is Dr. David Hunt who is heavily involved with Leyland history, said was he didn't know who had ownership of the film. If you want to ask him directly Frank his address is dhunt@southribble.gov.uk. and the museum's web site is http://www.southribblemuseum.org.uk . I have tried in vain to find the film on line , even YouTube.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
22-Aug-2016, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Noel. All the aunts and uncles involved are no longer with us. If anyone could claim it, it would be my cousin Christine (George's daughter) or maybe Sid & Shelia's son (whose name I don't remember). If Bert & Jack gave it to the Historical Society, I'd say it belongs there. Back in 1964, when they filmed it there was no internet, or CDs and probably no easy way to copy it. I'm a bit surprised they had an audio capability to add a sound track to home movies on 8mm film back then.

I'll get in touch with Dr. Hunt and tell him about the family history and why I think the society should keep the film.

Frank.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
29-Aug-2016, 10:12 AM
(20-Aug-2016 09:53 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Barbara is my Uncle Charlie's eldest daughter. She never married, as far as I know, and was living in Australia last time I heard of her (a few years back). I think she's just a bit older than me (I'll be 75 in a few weeks). I can't remember the two younger girls' names. They both married young men of Pakistani descent (both from Preston) and emigrated to Oz soon afterwards.

Frank D

Shirley is the eldest, daughter of Charlie's first wife and she married Leyland lad Bob Barton they emigrated app 1964. Barbara as you observe, never married, their younger sister Eileen emigrated early 1980s and for what it's worth I think her husband's parents were West Indian
29-Aug-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input, Audrey. As you can gather, my part of the family were not close to the other part. I'm assuming Shirley's husband was not the Bob Barton who was a motorcycle dealer and later bought the Damps' petrol station at the junction of Canberra Road and Turpin Green (now a Tesco, I think).

Frank D
31-Aug-2016, 07:14 PM
(22-Aug-2016 03:48 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  I'll get in touch with Dr. Hunt and tell him about the family history and why I think the society should keep the film.

Frank.

Hope it gets sorted for you Frank. Peter Houghton who has posted on here is another contact of the historical society if you struggle for answers.