Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland clockl
05-Sep-2016, 08:58 PM
Leyland clockl
A week ago I read a letter in the Daily Mail asking what happened to the Leyland clock that was on the A6 at Shap. A reply came back saying the clock had been erected outside the Brewery theater Keswick. Today came a letter from some one who remembers as a child in the 50s riding in lorries up and down shap, 1st gear had to be engaged before the start of the climb and also one had to come back down in 1st gear. This was to save the brakes from burning up, some times there would be convoys of lorries traveling less than 10 mph, although the A6 has latter been widened it is still slow going better to travel up the M6 motorway.

frank h.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
23-Sep-2016, 07:27 PM
RE: Leyland clockl
Did LML actually own those "Leyland" clocks? I remember the one at the north end of Bashell's, just before the humpback bridge over the river. I think that's the one that was installed at the Turpin Green/Hough Lane roundabout when that old intersection was remodelled. Is it still there?

Does anyone know how many there were and where they were first installed?

Frank D
26-Sep-2016, 08:13 PM
Frank D,
If you go on to "Leyland Talk" on the Forum list and then click on page 24 there is a "Leyland Clocks" thread and on the third page there is a full list by 'tony tony' of the sites of the clocks.

frank h.
27-Sep-2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Frank. It took some key-pushing to get to it, but that list by Tony was very useful. I hadn't realised there were as many as that.

Frank D
27-Sep-2016, 08:43 PM
Learnt something there. I always thought that there was just the one clock.
28-Sep-2016, 08:29 AM
Same here..........

djh
28-Sep-2016, 07:49 PM
I got mixed up with Keswick and Kendal, the clock is positioned in Kendal.
If you Google Leyland Clocks you can find photos of the various clocks.

frank h.
03-Oct-2016, 08:55 PM
Another letter in the Daily Mail today about the A6 route up and down Shap, remembering riding down from Aberdeen to Manchester on the daily fish run in the 50s and 60s. The guy remembered that the local council tried to keep the road open during heavy snow by using ex war time american Mac wagans converted to snow ploughs. This reminded me about the building of the road maintenance dept on the M6 at Charnock Richard, I worked on this building for Tomlinsons about the time of the conecting up to the Preston Bypass early 60s, as work progressed the maintenance staff and equiptment began to move in their wagans arrived one was Mac also. Most people had only seen pictures of these very large monster machines with extra large tyres, and what looked like a bulldoser on the front.

frank h.
04-Oct-2016, 02:54 PM
The Mack trucks are still a common sight in the US. Along with Kenworth, Peterbilt and Volvo, they're the main means of goods transport around the country. They're all artics (called "tractor/trailer rigs" here) with dual rear axles, and are allowed to have two trailers in tandem on the motorways. Some states even allow three trailers. Once off the motorways, they have to unhook back to one trailer and park the others for a local truck to come and get.

Those triples are scary, particularly in winter weather. As far as I know, there's no damper on the individual hitches, so you have a 180-foot "train" with hinges between the tractor and each trailer.

Frank D