Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A busy month starts today
03-Jan-2017, 08:55 PM
RE: A busy month starts today
Noel:

I took a look at Google Earth after reading your comment. According to the i/d at the top of the photo of our house, it was taken in September 2012, hence the clear blue skies and strong sunlight. We had the front garden re-modelled last year, getting rid of the dense heather from the original 1999 landscaping and adding a couple of new trees, some shrubs and a "dry stream bed" feature. That bigger tree to the right of the photo actually belongs to our neighbor to the east and they had it pruned quite extensively. They moved to central California last summer and the house is now a rental. When the trees get new leaves in the spring and we get the garden cleaned up, I'll do an updated photo to post here.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
04-Jan-2017, 04:41 PM
We live 25 kilometres from Souda Bay Frank, a Nato Base and also large American military base, just a little concerned if Nukes are used in a WW3 we won't know much about though one big bang and that's it all finished...................Rolleyes

djh
04-Jan-2017, 08:38 PM
we already have a world war 3 Dave,one we'll struggle to win. The islamic terrorists against the rest of the world. I've been to Souda Bay 10 years or so ago now. And to the war cemetery near by. An elderly couple were looking after getting on for 100 dogs and cats that had strayed. Relied on donations by visitors to the memorial to keep looking after the animals. Turkey by the way is out of any future holiday plans much as I love the place particularly the sun and low prices. Erdogan is turning the country into an autocratic rule, many of the statues of Ataturk have been removed, journalists locked up if they disrespect the dictator. Enough is enough . Frank, I can see the attraction of the area you live in, looks good.
04-Jan-2017, 10:45 PM
Noel:

We love it here. Climate something like Cornwall, but a bit more reliable and slightly warmer. Everyone speaks US-style English as well as a lot of other languages. Mexican Spanish is very common, and there are native Scandahooligans here as well as people who speak German, French and some of the Eastern European languages.

The only ways we'll leave are either in wooden overcoats, or in wheelchairs as we move to sheltered accommodations. The latter are likely to be nearer where our children live (Everett, Poulsbo or Olympia).

If you're getting on an airplane to go on vacation, it doesn't make a lot of odds whether it's a two hour flight to the Med or a 9-hour one to get to the US west coast. The fare tends to mirror the length of time of your flight, but Icelandair is doing London-Seattle for around $850 round trip, with a change of plane in Rekyavik. My brother was over for Christmas, flying west on DLH via Frankfurt and east on United via San Francisco and I think his tickets were around 1,000 pounds. For some reason he didn't check Icelandair.

Frank
10-Jan-2017, 08:35 PM
Colin your brother Frank? He's a member of the forum isn't he, though I have come across him on Leyland Memories section of Facebook posting from time to time.
10-Jan-2017, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-Jan-2017 10:43 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Yes, Noel, Colin is my brother. He's 8 years younger than me. He was a reporter on local government affairs for the LEP while still living in Leyland, but left Lancashire a long time ago after landing a job with Westward Television, the ITV station in Plymouth. The license for the station changed hands and he was not as enthusiastic as with the previous boss.

After the change in licensee and meeting new people in the area, he and a friend took over a very historic pub on the Plymouth street known as "The Barbican". The pub was called "The Swallow". His partner, Peter, was the "hail, fellow, well met" type and was the landlord, while Colin was the business partner.

Unfortunately, Peter died quite young and Colin and other employees continued the pub. It was not as successful without Peter, and eventually got into financial trouble and Colin had to sell it. It went through a couple of incarnations before coming back as "The Swallow".

Colin retired shortly after selling the pub, and now is a volunteer at the Plymouth Library, organising the video collection that Westward TV donated. He says it's interesting putting himself in a Library "Historical" collection. He's also got back into Gilbert and Sullivan, with the Plymouth G&S Society. He was very active in the Society based at St. Ambrose Church in Leyland before he moved south.

He reported that the trip home (SEA-SFO-LHR on United Airlines) went well. The last leg came unravelled when the coach from LHR back to Plymouth had no heat - not good on December 28th!

BTW - Our best wishes to everyone active on the Forum, for a happy and prosperous New Year.

Frank
18-Jan-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm sure I recall his name from the lep way back. He'd be about 6 or 7 years younger than me I guess. Incidentally the Lancashire Evening Post , to which we subscribe has just changed its name to the Lancashire Post . Seems rather appropriate as it gets delivered to us mid morning!. No paper boys anymore over here, just agents who deliver from their cars. Incidentally I've not logged in since my last post about your brother Frank and was quite surprised no-one else had posted apart from you.. What's happened to everyone?
18-Jan-2017, 08:53 PM
Noel:

I don't know where all the regular posters we used to have disappeared to. I log in every morning, and it can be two or three weeks before someone else does.

Rather sad, as it used to be a very active forum.

Frank
19-Jan-2017, 09:26 AM
Agreed Frank, the forum was very active when I first joined it now seems to have nearly dried up, maybe as someone said it is the result of Facebook and Twitter, not that I personally use either of them, they are invasive and I cannot enjoy that............

djh
19-Jan-2017, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 19-Jan-2017 07:38 PM by anacortesdamp.)
I agree, Dave, particularly about Twitter. That's been totally taken over by Donald Fart. I figured out that, when were kids, "fart" was considered a swear word and we had to use "trump" instead. Since "trump" = "fart", I decided it was a good fit for the stupid git! The only drawback to him screwing up and getting impeached means we get President Pence. He has managed not to reveal that he's a raving nut evangelical Christian during the campaign. If he became president, I can imagine him deporting everyone that isn't Christian (or won't convert). As an agnostic with atheistic leanings, I suppose I could fake it!

Eileen uses Facebook quite a lot, as she has an iPad rather than a Microsoft-based system like mine. I've tried to figure out how her computer works, but after all my years with MS, I find it damn-near impossible. It doesn't seem to have any file structure system. She has a couple of hundred photos on there and has to scan through them all to find a particular one and looking for other stuff is equally frustrating. I refuse to have anything to do with it.

Frank D