Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Spa Well
30-Oct-2016, 06:27 PM
The Spa Well
Does anyone know anything about the well ? it was below Greenhill farm now demolished , the remains are still there ,i will take some photographs this week
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
30-Oct-2016, 09:48 PM
RE: The Spa Well
It is 11 years ago that I lived in the area but never heard of Spar Well not even when I was a fireman in Leyland, news would be welcome.......

djh
31-Oct-2016, 09:22 PM
The only well I know about was in the middle of the garden of our house in Fox Lane. I always wonderd what was under the large stone in the middle of the lawn as a child. It was a stone chamber with an opening about the size of a bucket, when it dried up dad used to throw rubble into it and then capped it off laying turf over the opening. As far as I know there could be more wells in other back gardens in the step up houses.

frank h.
01-Nov-2016, 07:24 PM
Spa well is news to me. Whereabouts is it located David?
02-Nov-2016, 10:29 PM
(01-Nov-2016 07:24 PM)noel Wrote:  Spa well is news to me. Whereabouts is it located David?
hello Noel , if you go up Shawbrook rd just before the park you will see a small field to your right , if you look in the river you will find the ruin of the spa well . just above you is where Greenhill farm used to be. take wellies!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to david k for this post
03-Nov-2016, 03:37 AM
(31-Oct-2016 09:22 PM)frank h Wrote:  The only well I know about was in the middle of the garden of our house in Fox Lane. I always wonderd what was under the large stone in the middle of the lawn as a child. It was a stone chamber with an opening about the size of a bucket, when it dried up dad used to throw rubble into it and then capped it off laying turf over the opening. As far as I know there could be more wells in other back gardens in the step up houses.

frank h.
As a child around 1942 I used to live with and/or visit Grandparents Joe and Jessie Rukin in Slater Lane (the house was then known as Lytham Cottage, on the South side, just west of Southlands Drive - about halfway between the Lostock and St James).
There was a well in their back garden, covered with flagstones; from memory the water level would have been only a few feet below the flagstones. Joe used to slide the cover aside & drop a bucket on a rope to get water for his extensive gardens.
From Google Maps it appears that the house has gone now? - other houses around or even Moss Side Way itself will have been built where it used to be? Maybe 152 is approximately where it was?

Jerry Threlfall
03-Nov-2016, 04:02 PM
Jerry:

There was a David Rukin in my class at BGS. Related? I think the family lived on the avenue between Crawford and Broadway. It went off from the corner of the odd little triangular roundabout on Balcarres Road near Broadway.

Frank
03-Nov-2016, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Nov-2016 07:16 PM by noel.)
(03-Nov-2016 04:02 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Jerry:

There was a David Rukin in my class at BGS. Related? I think the family lived on the avenue between Crawford and Broadway. It went off from the corner of the odd little triangular roundabout on Balcarres Road near Broadway.

Frank

Slightly off course Frank, David I believed died fairly young. He was Jack Rukin's brother, Jack was married to the former member who called herslef Smithy, if you recall. Pat Rukin (nee Smith). I knew Jack and Pat from BTR and David I knew of from BGS.

(02-Nov-2016 10:29 PM)david k Wrote:  
(01-Nov-2016 07:24 PM)noel Wrote:  Spa well is news to me. Whereabouts is it located David?
hello Noel , if you go up Shawbrook rd just before the park you will see a small field to your right , if you look in the river you will find the ruin of the spa well . just above you is where Greenhill farm used to be. take wellies!

Cheers David, I didn't realise Shawbrook Rd went that far down. Not having been down the road since 1970s when I was taxiing part time. Used to pick up at Shawbrook. Google Maps shows it crossing over Shaw Brook, I presume this is where the well was?
03-Nov-2016, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-Nov-2016 09:17 PM by david k.)
(03-Nov-2016 07:06 PM)noel Wrote:  

Frank

Slightly off course Frank, David I believed died fairly young. He was Jack Rukin's brother, Jack was married to the former member who called herslef Smithy, if you recall. Pat Rukin (nee Smith). I knew Jack and Pat from BTR and David I knew of from BGS.

Cheers David, I didn't realise Shawbrook Rd went that far down. Not having been down the road since 1970s when I was taxiing part time. Used to pick up at Shawbrook. Google Maps shows it crossing over Shaw Brook, I presume this is where the well was?

Frank

04-Nov-2016, 12:22 PM
(03-Nov-2016 09:17 PM)david k Wrote:  

Frank

Frank

(01-Nov-2016 07:24 PM)noel Wrote:  In Short Frank Damp and Noel :- Yes, the Rukins were cousins - Mum had two brothers, John (Jack) and Billy - Billy was a Fishwicks driver, I didn't know Jack snr
Jerry

Spa well is news to me. Whereabouts is it located David?

Jerry Threlfall