Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No Smoking !
17-Nov-2004, 12:28 PM

I'm all in favour of a ban on smoking in public places. I avoid smoky atmospheres as much as possible - in fact the only time I visit a pub in the evening (when the smoke seems worse than lunchtimes) is to attend a Leyland Forum meet!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Nov-2004, 02:46 PM

Linda we should campaign for a smoke free meet.
I've been listening to some of the arguments for and against a ban. Some smokers are still being selfish by saying that it's their right to light up wherever they please. Never mind anyone else breathing in that toxic smoke.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-Nov-2004, 12:03 AM

I am all for the smoking ban, there is nothing worse than meeting in a pub only to find that you have to put up with smokers being antisocial, then when you get home your clothes all stink of smoke.

Smokers say that they have a right to do what they want, they do in their own home or in a field, but when they are in a public house or other public place the majority of the people have a right to clean air.

Those that insist on lighting up where others have to breath in their smoke just don't care about other people.

David
21-Nov-2004, 03:06 PM

On my last visit to Leyland/Preston (July), I brought with me a box of 50 cigars to share with one of my friends and my brotherin law who both 'enjoyed' a cigar. It is a practice that I have been doing for several years. I was amazed this last visit when they both refused the cigars, having quit smoking. I gave them to the guy who loaned me his golf clubs for the month ;-))
Quote this message in a reply
14-Feb-2006, 09:24 PM

Thank heaven the House of Commons has shown some sense and voted tonight for a total ban on smoking in ALL licensed premises and private clubs. Let's hope the Lords show some commonsense for a change, though don't hold your breath. It will be 2007 before we come into line with Scotland and Northern Ireland.
14-Feb-2006, 09:36 PM

I think that pub landlords who think their trade will fall once smoking is banned may be in for a pleasant suprise. I know several people (my wife and I included)who will return for a social drink once the fug and smokscreens have disappeared. It will be brilliant knowing that nobody at the next table is going to light up , halfway through your meal.

Jim
14-Feb-2006, 09:41 PM

Also a reason I stopped going into pubs Jim. The last time I went in one, apart from the meets at the Eagle was back in 1989 when I went into the Anchor on Croston Road, I came out stinking of smoke and my eyes streaming. I had to change my cloths when I got home. I vowed never again, not as long as smoking is allowed.
15-Feb-2006, 01:42 PM

I feel just the same. I don't mind half an hour in the Eagle prior to us moving on somewhere else, but much longer than that and one reeks of smoke. When I got home from my works Christmas do I had to shower and wash my hair to get rid of the smell of fags before I could go to bed. Thank goodness that will be a thing of the past in 18 months time!
15-Feb-2006, 03:18 PM

I'm all for the no smoking ban, we have somewhere between 70 to 90 million people in this country and only 12 million smokers, but it just takes one person to fill a room with their smoke and make the others suffer.

If I am at an event where there are smokers then my clothes stink of smoke afterwards and I can taste it for hours or days afterwards sometimes.

Banning smoking in pubs etc. is one of the most sensible things this government has done.
15-Feb-2006, 03:43 PM

Here in California there is no smoking in ANY public building or stadium, even outdoor stadiums. There is a movement afoot to ban smoking in public parks etc. Be aware that even though there is a ban in place, it isn't always followed....just like we all don't stay below the speed limit when driving !
Quote this message in a reply