Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
No Smoking !
15-Feb-2006, 04:12 PM

There will be a fine of £2500 here for any proprietor allowing the rule to be broken, and you can bet there will be plenty of non smokers very willing to "dob" , if I may use a Prisoner Cell Block H expression, on them.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Feb-2006, 02:12 AM

Lets go the whole hog and ban alcohol as well. Think of the savings, according to the BBC 1.5 billion pounds is wasted on health care for smokers and God knows what on alcoholics and the misery they create. But wait a minute, smokers pay over 5 billion in taxes [BBC] and I'd guess booze is much the same. Just think, no smoky pubs, no drunken yobs, no drunk drivers etc etc. Just get ready for taxes to go up to cover the deficit.
Seriously, if pubs and clubs had air conditioning and fans like the rest of the world, there really would'nt be a big problem. Trouble with that is that no smoke means you'll be able to smell all the B/O on everyone.
I havent smoked for years, by the way.
John
16-Feb-2006, 02:50 AM

Well, here in Canada where everyplace has air conditioning , until smoking was banned pubs still stank ! I smoked a pipe until 20 years ago , in fact I still get the urge on occasions then I think of the costs involved and recall the sour stale stink of spent tobacco .
Smoking should be discouraged wherever possible, now wines /sprits/and beer's a different thing altogether, there's no smelly smoke induced for others to inhale, and as far as I'm concerned if it's not taken to extremes it's perfectly acceptable, in fact it's always been one of lifes pleasure, and that's not the case with tobacco.
One thing I find appalling is seeing people smoking in a car especially when children are present., that's pure negligence and should not be allowed !
Ash trays should be eliminated from new cars !
Re the tax, yes serious revenues are genereated, but gambling taxes can be increased to cover, taking more from gambling loosers to cover such losses of revenue , thats a good thing , it's wasted money anyway !
John's point re BO may raise some eyebrows, but like the smell of diesel on all the high streets, facts of life in Europe !
16-Feb-2006, 09:06 AM

I thought people used deoderants these days.[}Smile] I personally would have been happy to see smokers get their own room, but it's not just about keeping smokers happy, it's about health at work for the poor sods who have to wait on on them. It's time smokers were less selfish and thought of others. And if this is the way to do it , fine.
17-Feb-2006, 01:46 AM

Back after comp. probs - sheesh!
As one or two of you know, I am a smoker.
I do welcome the ban, though - same as Noel Mk.1 I never go into pubs cos I can't stand that heavy smell of smoke. I do, however, enjoy meals in restaurants. If it means I have to 'step outside' then I am more than willing - I just hope they provide 'ashtrays' outside, though.
At a convention last September (Floral Hall, Southport) smoking was banned within the building so the smokers stood outside ... and dropped their cig ends on the floor and left them there!!
Now that annoys me as much as anyone blowing smoke in my face (with or without a mouthful of food). It is just pure laziness and these are supposed to be adults.
No, I didn't, and never do, drop my cig ends on the floor.
Just thought I'd drop by!

Best of,

Noel Mk.2

http://www.partymagic.org.uk
17-Feb-2006, 01:51 PM

Glad to see you back Mk11 and yes you are very respectful as a smoker, I remember you asking if anyone minded at our meal. I had a meal the other night at the Italian Orchard and surprisngly smoking was allowed there but the ceilings were so high and extraction good that nobody got the slightest whiff of smoke. I agree totally about cig ends though as a youngster in East St I do remember picking all the "dog ends" up out of the gutter hoping to get one with enough left on it to have a puff or two.[:0]
17-Feb-2006, 07:55 PM

quote:

Originally posted by rocketmanjohn

Lets go the whole hog and ban alcohol as well. ......
Trouble with that is that no smoke means you'll be able to smell all the B/O on everyone.

Whilst alcohol in excess is very bad for the health, in moderate doses it can be beneficial, so I don't think it should be banned.

As for your second point, apparently this has happened in Ireland where smoking in pubs is already banned. Now certain pubs reek of BO and farts (Guardian yesterday!) where the whiff was masked by the ciggie smoke before. Perhaps we should only go for our tipple in pubs in more upmarket areas where use of deodorant can be guaranteed? Or put bouncers on the door to prevent whiffy customers gaining entry? Or even a separate room for those who haven't had a bath this week? [Wink][}Smile] But that's probably contravening the Human Rights Act or summat!
17-Feb-2006, 08:13 PM

Linda, I don`t know what you`ve been taking with your water, but can I order a bottle of it please?[Tongue]

As an ex-smoker ( does anyone deride the past-time more than we do?), I can`t see why all the attention is given to the `poor` adicts. Our proud country is supposed to be a democracy. If the silent majority, three out of four people, who don`t partake of the weed, can`t rid ourselves of the 25% who do, what hope is there for us?

Jim
17-Feb-2006, 10:21 PM

Nothing raises the hackles more than debates about smoking. Personally I think it's just a lot of hot air.[Tongue]
18-Feb-2006, 08:56 AM

Do you mean `hot smoke`, Noel? [:{]

Jim