Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good Morning
14-Nov-2016, 08:16 PM
Good Morning
Hello My name is Francis Parkinson now living in British Columbia Canada although I am not a Leyland native I have deep roots in the community.I spent time there in my early years. I have recently started to do some family history searching

My Great grandfather and grandfather both lived in Sherdly Cottage in the late 1800's and early 1900's my Great Aunt, Maggie Suggitt lived in the cottage until she died in 1965 (just before she died she moved to Chorlton)

any information the members might have on the Suggitt family would be greatly appreciated, although I have great memories and photographs of Maggie I have nothing of John (my great grandfather)or George (my grandfather)

Thank You
Francis
parkinson.francis@gmail.com
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Nov-2016, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 16-Nov-2016 05:12 AM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Good Morning
Francis:

Any connection to the Parkinson family that had the bakery on Golden Hill and the retail shop on Hough Lane? I used to commute with to college with Derek Grimshaw, who was very involved with that business.

I'm a member of the Damp family who had the ironmongery at 143 Towngate and a gas station at the junction of Canberra Road and Turpin Green. We lived at number 7 Church Road for many years, across from the Parish Church. My wife is the daughter of the Nixon family who had a green-grocery at 90 Hough Lane.

We've been in the USA since 1968, after I emigrated to join Boeing. We are now in retirement in the seaside town of Anacortes, in Washington, about 60 "bird flies" miles south of the border with Canada and about 30 miles west of the I-5 junction at Burlington.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with Sherdley Cottage. So where was it?

Frank Damp
16-Nov-2016, 07:04 PM
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sherdle...-2.6855309

Sherdly cottage is just off Stanifield lane and Stoney lane on the outskirts of Lostock hall if you ever did some train spotting you might have passed it.

I know Anaocartes well we spent 15 years living in Whiterock just north of the Blain border crossing. WE have now retired in Fernie BC just 3 hours south of Calgary
16-Nov-2016, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-Nov-2016 09:09 PM by noel.)
Welcome Francis. I live not far from Sherdley Woods and walk my dog there frequently. I'd wondered how it got its name. Look forward to hearing more from you.J just checking the location, Sherdley Rd. and the woods are maybe half a mile away from the cottage, so the name connection is a bit of a mystery.?
17-Nov-2016, 12:28 AM
The cottage has changed a lot from the days my relatives lived there. I believe it's currently listed around 500,000 pounds
The picture by my name is of Maggie Suggitt. I'll send some of the Cottage when I find them.
17-Nov-2016, 02:21 PM
Welcome Francis sounds like a very interesting life, hope you get some replies to your family search.....

djh
17-Nov-2016, 04:36 PM
Francis:

Now that "The Donald" is President-to-be, I'm wondering about moving across the border until he gets impeached or for four years, whichever comes first. White Rock is one of the places I've been considering.

Frank
17-Nov-2016, 10:14 PM
It's a beautiful town lots to do and close to both Vancouver and the US
18-Nov-2016, 08:43 AM
Since the election result in favour of Trump my son and his Mexican wife living in Ohio for 20 plus years are thinking of moving to Canada............

djh
18-Nov-2016, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-Nov-2016 04:13 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Dave:

There was a headline in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer the other day that read "Thinking of moving to Canada? You probably can't afford it." They reckon that the cost of housing is so high compared to the Seattle area and the increased tax burdens would make it unmanageable. I would imagine that the difference in housing costs wuld be even greater compared to Ohio.

There's talk of Central America, Australia. New Zealand in the local press also.

Frank