Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good Morning
19-Nov-2016, 02:27 PM
RE: Good Morning
(18-Nov-2016 04:12 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  Dave:

There was a headline in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer the other day that read "Thinking of moving to Canada? You probably can't afford it." They reckon that the cost of housing is so high compared to the Seattle area and the increased tax burdens would make it unmanageable. I would imagine that the difference in housing costs wuld be even greater compared to Ohio.

There's talk of Central America, Australia. New Zealand in the local press also.
Thanks for that Frank, I will let him know...........
Frank

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-Nov-2016, 04:51 PM
Dave:

Just to clarify, the newspaper item was specifically referring to the greater Vancouver area. It's in big demand for wealthy Chinese, to a point where the Provincial government is considering a 35% sales tax on residential housing purchased by foreigners. I have no information on anywhere further east than BC.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
20-Nov-2016, 08:30 AM
HI all. Sandyship here. I have often wanted to post but my password wouldnt work and the new one sent to me was rejected. Finally got in again but it is a long process.
HAD A BAD EARTHQUAKE HERE THIS WEEK. But getting through it we didn
T have much damage but a7.8 was pretty shaky. Scared the living daylights out of me.
20-Nov-2016, 12:05 PM
Hope all is well Sandy.

Regards

Peter
20-Nov-2016, 04:33 PM
Hi, Sandy:

It's good to see you back again. The videos of your quake that we've seen on US news programs looked pretty bad. We're on the "Ring of Fire" also, but the 3 quakes we've experienced since we've lived here have been fairly mild. Our "biggie" was the eruption of Mount St. Helens, but we're far enough away that we heard it rather than felt it. There's probably a 7.0 or bigger one sometime in our future.

Frank Damp
Anacortes, WA
20-Nov-2016, 07:09 PM
Good to see you back Sandy , heard about the quake on south island. Fortunately you're OK. We've had fracking approved by the government against the council's decision and the vast majority of locals so we might have one up here. :-)
21-Nov-2016, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 21-Nov-2016 09:16 AM by Dave H.)
We have a few here in Crete people, but as luck happens, the big ones have been offshore...........Glad you made it Sandy

djh
22-Nov-2016, 10:00 AM
Don't try Australia for a cheap life - 1 million dollar average house price in Sydney - 50% Income tax - 10%GST - Government capped superannuation restricting savings to abysmal level. No pension - you have to live on your capped savings in retirement and continue to pay tax until you die - then pay death taxes etc etc etc....