Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re engaging
18-Jun-2017, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-Jun-2017 09:41 PM by anacortesdamp.)
RE: Re engaging
The nice thing about Anacortes is the seaside. Directly across the street, those houses are on salt-water marina frontage. One public beach is a half-mile to the east by the marina entrance, another one 3/4 mile to the west and a large city park a couple of miles away with about 3 miles of waterfront views. The State Ferry terminal, with services to the San Juan Islands and Vancouver Island is about 3/4 of a mile away also, but we drive to that because of the gradients involved. The ridge between us and the ferry terminal rises to about 250' above sea-level.

When the weather improves (it's 400' overcast with drizzle today), I'll take a few pics and have Eileen post them on Facebook.
Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-Jun-2017, 06:12 AM
Hi- I'm confused, i was part way through compiling my first posting for several years when suddenly the forum/screen reverted to another item , I cannot find my initial posting consequently cannot complete my posting . I'm wondering why this is , posting used to be a breeze , doesn't seem so now . I'd like to finish my first posting , leaving it half way through is not good !
19-Jun-2017, 11:01 AM
America and UK Noel, the main party`s have not the confidence of the people anymore.

djh
19-Jun-2017, 02:39 PM
(19-Jun-2017 06:12 AM)Alan Marsden Wrote:  Hi- I'm confused, i was part way through compiling my first posting for several years when suddenly the forum/screen reverted to another item , I cannot find my initial posting consequently cannot complete my posting . I'm wondering why this is , posting used to be a breeze , doesn't seem so now . I'd like to finish my first posting , leaving it half way through is not good !

I'm puzzled Alan your first posting is the first onthis thread and complete as far as I can see? Like most threads it changes subject . Incidentally son said Chicago was not windy ?
24-Jun-2017, 04:29 AM
The posting I referred to would have been my second, my first response to the my initial posting . I've tried again since then with the same result, having spent some time composing the post it then disappeared . The new format doesn't seem as easy to use to me as the old format .
Here goes again,.
Noel, I note you're still in Lostock Hall , it's seven years I think since I was last there , I would like to visit lancashire again and soon . Are you still involved with the scout movement ?
Dave -in again, i note you're still in Crete , a very pleasant place to live , We've been twice , just for a day on both occasions, when cruising .
Martin , in Falconswood London, thanks for your help in my re engaging, I hope to become involved once again , hopefully lively discussions, certainly there's a lot to discuss !
Frank - in Anacortes Washington , again , a pleasant area , at the time we were returning from an Alaskan cruise and we then stayed with friends in Ladner, he, (John) and I worked together for many years at B and R Taylor's in Sandy lane leyland and later in Richmond Vancouver where we worked in 1980/81 on the design of final assembly tooling for the then new Boeing B767 . At that time I drove bi- weekly down the coast to Boeing in Everett for meetings and approvals. Since then John stayed in Vancouver finding work in a different field, I continued to work in aircraft and moved on to Montreal then Toronto. When living in Richmond Van. I often went to Steveson harbour to purchase a freshly caught salmon direct from the boat and to Pojo's fish and chips on the jetty . Pleasant times !
24-Jun-2017, 09:21 AM
Alan yes we're still in Lostock Hall though strictly speaking I think we're in farington moss. The boundary is the beginning of Croston rd and we're some way past The Anchor pub which is well down the road. There's a lot of housing development to happen further down some 800 houses planned. My wife is the scouter nearly 30 years now running a special needs group for the last 10 or so, mainly autistic and they can be a handful.
24-Jun-2017, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 24-Jun-2017 03:52 PM by anacortesdamp.)
Alan:

I worked for Boeing for almost 30 years, in two hirings. The first was from England in 1968 and I was laid off in the big 1971 cut-backs. Boeing went from a workforce of 103,000 in the greater Seattle area, down to 34,000. I was rehired in 1974 and finally retired in 1998, just short of my 57th birthday. I got fed up of all the travelling, particularly as it was almost all to the Arab world. In my last year, I was away for 28 weeks, and none of the trips was more than 10 days. I had over 600,000 frequent flier miles on 10 different airlines.

We moved to Anacortes in 1999, and have no plans to leave, unless it's in a pine box.

Before getting married, I lived with my folks at No.7 Church Road (same side as the war memorial, 3rd house up from the Cross). I remember B&R Taylor starting up in that Sandy Lane house. My last visit to Leyland was for my Dad's funeral, which was just after we'd moved to Anacortes (2000, I think). Eileen has been back a couple of times since then.

Frank
25-Jun-2017, 02:54 AM
Noel. ., I'm wondering if you or your wife have come across the 'Dodds' , they lived in new Longton , had two sons in St.Andrews Longton scouts when our three sons were also in that group in the seventies . they ran the group at that time , very nice dedicated people they were too , he always drove a land rover which was good for accessing Waddacar.
With all the building goingon in the uk, I have to wonder where all the new occupants are coming from and what they could be doing for a living especially with the changes within industry and the advent of 'white collar] jobs.?

Frank, I was working in Marrietta ,Atlanta, Georgia in on the Lockheed C5A galaxy in 1967 , several people in the office were from Boeing Seattle having been laid off there, I determined that the south wasn't the place I wanted to bring up mu family so returned to Band R.T. later when working at De havilland Toronto on the DHC7 i became friends with another fellow from uk, ( HS Chester in fact) , he'd been working at Boeing Seattle and had purchased a home there , as so many were laid off the house prices fell , he found work at Fokker in Holland but had to continue with the Seattle mortgage until the housing situation improved , apparently many people walked away from their homes . That was partially the reason I didn't stay in georgia , I saw a lovely home and was encouraged to purchase it like so many other Brits there did, I asked my superviser about work continuity , he told ne he couldn't see farther than two months ahead- that was not a basis for considering moving there, two months after I returned to leyland Lockheed fired over 20,000 people ! point proven ! On these work ventures I didn't take my wife and sons, didn't want to until i was satisfied it would be beneficial, only after working in Toronto in 1973 on the DHC7 did I feel inclined to do so . Even so I again returned to Band R.T. until the Boeing B767 project tempted me to Richmond Van, where Boring had set up a design office staffed by Brits, and other Euroeans for the B767 project. I then brought out my family for a two week vacation, they determined after perhaps three days that they wanted to live in Canada .
25-Jun-2017, 01:16 PM
I know of a Martin Dodd from New Longton Alan, he's probably related as there are only around 2,000 people live there, but Margaret doesn't know of them, maybe they are a bit earlier than her. There was a guy who used to cycle into BTR from New Longton, Norman Hodgson played for one of the Preston Grasshoppers' teams. She remembers Ken Smith who went out there, now deceased I believe. She was at Waddecar last weekend helping with the annual district meet and is there again in July sometime Duty Warden for the weekend. Acting unpaid.
26-Jun-2017, 12:13 AM
Noel, Martin is one of two sons of the Dodds, seniors, Ken Dodd was the father , he worked at Leyland Motors , they had a bungalow in New Longton backing onto Hutton the bye pass . they put a lot of time and effort into Scouting , that was in perhaps the late 1970's when my boys were in Longton scouts and at HGS. I used to go to night school with Ken, at the Harris Corporations street .if you hear about them I'd appreciate your informing me . How time passes so quickly , it doesn't seem long ago when my boys were Scouting , yet here we are now my sons are 47, 50, and 51 !
Keep up the good work ! I enjoyed scouting in the previous generation when camping at Inglewhite was exiting , carrying pales of water, sitting around the campfire cooking a flour mix on a wooden stick over the flames , dipping it in honey ,all good stuff