Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re engaging
26-Jun-2017, 12:52 PM
RE: Re engaging
I reckon you have now got the hang of posting Alan, keep up with the good posts remembering Leyland past and present. Smile

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
26-Jun-2017, 05:03 PM
there was an article in the lep some years ago Alan you can read it here http://www.lep.co.uk/news/big-interview-...dd-1-77941
02-Jul-2017, 05:31 PM
Incidentally going back on a comment I made earlier son has now been to down town chicago and said it was quite breezy, due to the numbers of high rise buildings I believe.
03-Jul-2017, 04:15 PM
That can cause the windy conditions, Noel. Seattle is beginning to be transformed into a high-rise city and I understand it's getting windy. We don't travel down there very often these days. It's nearly 100 miles away and no longer has much of interest for us.

We do get strong winds here fairly often. Our neighborhood faces south over a fairly big bay. The prevailing winds are southerly and there's very little except open water for a couple of hundred miles. That water is cold, being mainly snow-melt run-off. I guess that keeps the summertime high temps comfortable - yesterday was bright, sunny, not very windy and the high temp staggered all the way to 73F.

Frank
04-Jul-2017, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 04-Jul-2017 01:32 PM by noel.)
Overall my son had a favourable impression of the USA. Big obviously even wheelchairs were huge, very wide, how do they get through doorways. And traffic lights at junctions. If it's red and nothing coming you can filter right? And big towns like Cleveland. Empty. Where was everybody? But friendly smiley people, felt very welcome. Coach trip round the Indy 500 circuit something to add to the bucket list. Next visit December. Winter weather over there, what's that like.
04-Jul-2017, 03:40 PM
Very unpleasant. Chicago gets daytime highs around 15F with lots of snow and strong winds. Just about everywhere your son went will be cold and miserable, I'm afraid. Also, it's likely he'll run into travel disruptions due to weather.

Frank
04-Jul-2017, 08:12 PM
Oh great. Thanks Frank I'll try and find out who which states he's going to.
04-Jul-2017, 08:32 PM
My experience of the windy city was on a stop over flight to LasVagas, the landing over the lake was horrendous the worst terbulance I have ever experianced. I was sat near the back of the plane, it was like being on the biggest roller coaster it left me physically sick.

frank h.
08-Jul-2017, 04:52 AM
Thanks noel for the information on Martin Dodd . You're son is he visiting short term or perhaps working in Cleveland ? Re the winters , Cleveland is not far away from where I live -in southern Ontario , approx 30 min drive from Niagara , winters are not as severe as many people think, certainly not as severe as in Preston around 1950 when we used to get deep snow ,freezing cold , and housing without central heating and double glazing . It's usually quite mild until just after Christmas , Jan and Feb just a few days of snow ,and not deep , much like uk I would say, but many people like the snow and go skiing a few miles northwards or into Mont Tremblant Quebec a days drive eastwards where it is much colder than zouther Ontario - Toronto area . we've enjoyed staying in Mont Tremblant in January in past years , participating in skiing ,ski doing , skating, I guess the thing is to enjoy winter , rather than fight it , sunny winter days in crisp fresh air warm clothing and a good hotel are enjoyable . I recall my working days in Montreal staying in a motel, e drivers of trucks were there also and they left their engines running all night so as not to freeze .
08-Jul-2017, 03:16 PM
you're welcome for the info Alan. My son''ll be just visting in December, Winsconsin and Tennesee states, and I have not a clue where they are. I can well understand how any USA citizen feels the world ends either side of the North American continent, it's so huge. But there we are in little UK wet and shivering ;-). We had a visit to Glasson Dock on Friday then on to Knott End, with it's little ferry across the Wyre to Fleetwood. Glasson Dock hasn't changed in all the years we've been going. I took a few photos which I'll try to post later.