Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Re engaging
08-Jul-2017, 04:14 PM
RE: Re engaging
Noel:

In December, Wisconsin will be really cold. It's the state bordering on the west side of the Great Lakes and with the Canadian border at its northern edge. The motor industry does its cold weather testing there in the winter. A friend of ours has family in Green Bay and has visited them in January. She says she's never been so cold. It stayed below zero (Fahrenheit !!) for four days straight. Tell him to take many layers of warm clothing. If he uses a second suitcase, he can ship it home when he goes to Tennessee!

Tennessee will be much more manageable. Since it's on the Gulf of Mexico, down at about 20 degrees latitude, it has a climate like southern Italy - hot and humid in the summer, warm and comfortable in winter.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
09-Jul-2017, 10:44 AM
Noel, do as Frank says and get your son some layered warm clothing for his mud west visit . interesting that you were in Glasson dock, I often went there years ago when cycling and later by car , the used to be a cafe floating in the lake there near the Caribeau pub and the lock gates just after the war that lake had dozens of MTB (motor torpedo boats) anchored . i recall once seeing Arthur Askey there with several beautiful theatrical lasses , he was very short , they were all tall . Going to knott end from Glasson and Cockerham one drives through Pilling and Preesall , a group of us from English Elestric used to fish on weekends on Pilling sands , we'd walk perhaps a mile out to meet the tide .drive stakes in the sand about 50 yards apart securing a long line between them and placing short (approx 12 inch long ) lines with a baited hook on the end about every 2 feet along the line , secure a balloon to the stake for identification layer , walk back with the tide play soccer on the shore, take lunch at the Golden ball , and walk out again with the tide to collect our fish . always taking a compass with us as the mist can come down rapidly and one would become disoriented . Several years ago, perhaps 50, a group ofnmen were caught in the mist , couldn't find their way back to shore and they drowned .The ferry boat at Knott end used to be steam driven , decks of oak and brass , the stoker toiling in the heat of the engine room amidst polished brass and copper fittings . The sands to inland side of the jetty used to be beautiful and clean, men used to draw large pictures in the sand , and collect coins from passengers . the last time I walked down that jetty the sands were polluted and black , people now observing there will believe that to be the normal state , but that's not so !
09-Jul-2017, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-Jul-2017 07:25 PM by Dave H.)
Remember it well Alan but the sands were too dangerous for us we just fished locally, heavy nostalgia from my younger days old son.

djh
18-Jul-2017, 03:54 AM
Seems ages since I dropped in here but nice to see Dave and Frank and Noel are still here, we're still in Chilliwack a little older, no smarter but still kicking, hello each.
21-Jul-2017, 06:45 AM
Still a few of us here I check most days but it feels like the Marie Celeste at times.good to hear from you again accystan.
21-Jul-2017, 08:23 AM
hope all is well Noel for your hols in Turkey, the earthquake in Bodrum and Kos are a little worrying. Sad

djh
26-Jul-2017, 06:47 PM
It is worrying Dave, did you feel any of the shocks on Crete?
27-Jul-2017, 12:55 PM
We were lucky Noel, no shocks here although we do have some most years all out at sea and luckily we live a few hundred feet above sea level, giving us a magnificent sea view of Kolimbari harbour and the Lefka Ori( the white mountains), many thanks for good wishes...

djh
27-Jul-2017, 03:37 PM
The area to the south of us about 50-120 miles or so has been having a flurry of "micro-quakes" recently. This is mainly along the coast between south Seattle and Everett. They're almost too gentle to notice (>3 Richter), but there have been a couple of hundred in a month. None have occurred up north where we are.

Frank
27-Jul-2017, 03:59 PM
My nephew lives in San Fransisco Frank . Enough said? I'd hate to be around if that starts wobbling.

I've been round your neck of the woods Dave might be about 10 years ago or so though. A spot of wine tasting, very nice. Visit to the war cemetery. Must have said this before? But mainly we stayed in the east round Sissi area. Next year I'm thinking maybe stay in the UK, all this organising for 2 weeks away, and our flight there is horrendous this year, when I booked it was ok but it's been altered and lands at 3-45am!!!!! just in time for breakfast by the time we arrive at the hotel. Either that or a kip. :-(