Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Passchendaele
16-Aug-2017, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 16-Aug-2017 07:55 PM by noel.)
RE: Passchendaele
I actually voted for Brexit as did my wife but we both feel we were mislead by the issues that were presented by the likes of Boris and co and to accept a vote as decisive when almost as many voted no as voted yes... let's face it in theory it could have been 50.0001 versus 49.9999 and that would have been decisive. I doubt another referendum would happen Alan as Corbyn's party line also supports the referendum result but yes far better to work within the EU rather than out, though I do feel at times it's become like the Fourth Reich, Germany having succeeded in doing politically what she couldn't do with the bombs and bullets. Trump, Dave is a nightmare, so is Kim Jong-Un who is clearly a wrong un, to throw a rhyme in. And the two between them could blow half the world up. Oh for a sensible leader like Mr. Putin. ( a certain element of sarcasm there but you see what I mean.) I'd be amazed if Mrs. May lasts the year, there again who else is a capable PM in the tory ranks? At times a strong drink helps. Ouzo would be fine Dave?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Aug-2017, 03:23 AM
I think you have to make the best of a bad job. The corruption and stupidity of EU forced the vote to give the result it did. Europe is not one big family it is a collection of natural enemies who all sought to get the biggest slice of the pie whilst pretending to be unified. On top of this opportunists tried to force EU governance on sovereign states and force countries to merely accept mass immigration, all the costs and all the problems the immigrants bring with them, not only from European countries but now half of Africa as well. If the rest of us want to emigrate we have to get in a queue and pass tests to show we will contribute to the country that we want to move to or they reject our applications. Immigration has to be planned and for the benefit of the host country, in all of Europe that is the other way around. Immigration and all the rest is for the benefit of the immigrants. I always hear the argument "Oh if we had curbed immigration then billionaire Abdullah XYZ would still be in Lebanon or where ever and not here". What about the other 99.999% of Lebanese or what ever that run the crime, drugs and prostitution and pay no tax in the host nation they detest.
The current situation is like a battered wife going back to the abusive husband saying "he promised he won't do it again".
The UK needs to move on and find some new friends to play with. When you have had a divorce, it's never the same again................Unfortunately a lot of the children of the marriage remain to cause their distinct problems and the demands they place on the welfare system.
The WW1 and WW2 boys and girls would be horrified to see the mess created by the idiots they died to defend.
17-Aug-2017, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 17-Aug-2017 07:45 AM by Dave H.)
Cannot agree with Peter, immigration was and had been a political football long before the formation of the EU, the world unrest was and will continue causing immigration in all its forms both asylum and financial, as I stated, 45 years of peace under EU unity may be destroyed after the breakup caused by Brexit, the vote was caused by the public believing the lies put out by Bungle Boris and Farage, with a name like Farage he can hardly claim English ancestry, likewise Boris, a look at the pound against the Euro tells us that Brexit is already hitting the exchange rate, it may be that the argument is that it is better for exports but we have precious little now to export now that our utilities have been given away to Europeans, the financial sector is leaving at a rapid rate to locate in Europe You Peter and I are immigrants seeking a better life for whatever reason, jobs, financial, or climate and health along with all the other Expat retirees who have left the English shores ...

djh
22-Aug-2017, 07:46 AM
I think NATO has probably been the main peace keeper Dave formed many years before the current EU as we know it.
22-Aug-2017, 03:39 PM
For me, it was a job opportunity combined with significant financial advantages. Many of the folks I worked with at BAC-Warton emigrated immediately after the TSR-2 debacle. For family reasons, I changed industries, first to machine tools then to motorcycles. Both companies (Wickman and Norton-Villiers) began to fail and I was persuaded by friends already at Boeing to apply for a position there. They were recruiting in the UK and I was interviewed in London and got a job offer.

It was the best career move I ever made and I retired in 1998 after 29 years with Boeing.

Frank