Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Worden Arts Centre, Re-Open
27-Nov-2017, 03:57 PM
Worden Arts Centre, Re-Open
Hi,
I am unsure how many people are aware that Worden Arts Centre in the middle of Worden Park has been closed now for over 4 years!

I have a meeting with South Ribble Council on the 28th November to discuss the future of the Arts Centre, I would welcome any ideas or suggestions on how the Arts Centre could be used to ensure its future.

Personally I would like to see it back to how it used to be used, Theatre, Music, Comedy, Weddings etc.

I have set up a Facebook page:
Friends of Worden Arts and Crafts Centre

Please take a look at my photos of inside the Arts and Crafts Centre if you are not familiar with the place, I am sure you will be impressed and saddened that its not available for all to use.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
28-Nov-2017, 09:49 PM
RE: Worden Arts Centre, Re-Open
That's great work Bugsy. Thank you.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to admin for this post
29-Nov-2017, 02:45 PM
(27-Nov-2017 03:57 PM)Bugsy Wrote:  Hi,
I am unsure how many people are aware that Worden Arts Centre in the middle of Worden Park has been closed now for over 4 years!

I have a meeting with South Ribble Council on the 28th November to discuss the future of the Arts Centre, I would welcome any ideas or suggestions on how the Arts Centre could be used to ensure its future.

Personally I would like to see it back to how it used to be used, Theatre, Music, Comedy, Weddings etc.

I have set up a Facebook page:
Friends of Worden Arts and Crafts Centre

Please take a look at my photos of inside the Arts and Crafts Centre if you are not familiar with the place, I am sure you will be impressed and saddened that its not available for all to use.

Yes, excellent work Bugsy. I wrote to SRBC a few weeks ago to find out what was happening and after a couple of chasing emails, finally received the following reply ( although my follow up email has gone unanswered):

Thank you for your recent enquiry in respect of the Marsden Theatre. The Council has been considering the future of the Marsden Theatre and the Derby Wing to bring it back into use in a way that is sympathetic with its location in a busy public park. A number of options have been considered and feasibility studies carried out.

This is an ongoing process but it is hoped that a project can be brought forward in the foreseeable future.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your initial request.

Mandy Catterall
Property Services Manager

I fully agree with you, I would like to see it restored to its former use and would like it to loosely follow the model of the New Continental pub in Preston. Like the Arts Centre, it is rather off the beaten track but this does not prevent it being successful. The key is identflying and providing events that people want to attend and building up a regular clientele. I think it would also make a huge difference if the access road opposite Langdale Road could be provided with lighting. This could be done in a tasteful way, sympathetic to the location.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Bill for this post
29-Nov-2017, 03:34 PM
We fully agree, albeit that we cannot enjoy it as we live in Crete but our family still live in the area and they and our Grandchildren can also enjoy it as we remember it...

djh
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Dave H for this post
29-Nov-2017, 07:36 PM
Sorry to read the meeting with the council didn't go well . The park attracts a lot of visitors particularly in better weather. Good luck with your future efforts.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noel for this post