Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ha ha ha, why do they do it?
23-Dec-2017, 10:36 PM
RE: Ha ha ha, why do they do it?
We don't have Boxing Day in the US. Some companies give December 24th as a day off, maybe to give the super-procrastinators a day for shopping! We do make a big deal out of Thanksgiving which is usually the 4th Thursday in November. Of course, we don't have Guy Fawkes' Day either.

Frank
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
27-Dec-2017, 02:09 PM
I didn't realise Boxing Day was a British thing?
27-Dec-2017, 06:09 PM
As I understand it, the name of the 26th came about because the servants were on duty on Christmas Day, serving the family. On the 26th, roles were reversed with the family serving the servants and they got their Christmas present "boxes" that day, hence the name.

Frank
[+] 1 user says Thank You to anacortesdamp for this post
26-Jul-2018, 11:44 AM
(07-Dec-2017 09:40 PM)jwhi Wrote:  
(05-Dec-2017 11:09 PM)Peter Harris Wrote:  A true politician.. You can tell when they are lying, their mouths move and sound comes out Smile
You get a small fine and you have to give it to the local politician in a brown paper bag and wash his/her car free of charge
They're only doing their job under difficult circumstances (he says, tongue in cheek.........).
I stopped voting after the expenses scandal - they soon realised I wasn't participating and changed their ways. Unfortunately it was only for a week or two.
What happens if you don't vote in Australia?

More seriously, where are the political giants like those of the post-war Attlee govt, or Thatchers early years (even though I wasn't a supporter)? We certainly need them now.

John
26-Jul-2018, 01:25 PM
reading john's copied post there from last december it's a shambles the political scene, isn't it. in the uk theresa may clinging grimly on to power by bribing the dup, trying to negotiate a remain brexit, donald trump, you cannot believe a word he says, he calls the proverbial kettle black then denies it saying he missed the" is not" out. where is guy fawkes when you need him :-)
26-Jul-2018, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 26-Jul-2018 03:44 PM by anacortesdamp.)
tRump is a classic demonstration of the old adage "the lesser of two evils is still evil". Why the heck did we get him and Hillary Clinton to choose between. There were a good number of much better candidates in the early running. With a bit of luck, he might eventually quit after realising he didn't get to be the CEO of all the branches of government (thank goodness!).

Of course, the high-level perks of the job might keep him satisfied - for one, his own personal 747. He still has the Trump organisation's 757 for when he leaves the Presidency.

Frank
27-Jul-2018, 04:43 PM
i doubt someone like trump would ever get elected over here, some of the claims he made were too ridiculous to be taken seriously, there again we have boris...how's the weather over there Frank? we've been in a heatwave now for quite some time, hosepipe ban in a few days, local reservoirs are near empty. on another front,( cramming them all in the same thread as the forum is so dead) my 11 year old grandson starts at balshaw's in september, the last eckton there was me. it's just across the road from where he lives, over 1200 pupils there now i believe, in our days it was half that.
27-Jul-2018, 06:19 PM
In Anacortes, the weather has been dry and sunny for about a month, with highs around 75F. Seattle has been in high 80's to low 90's during that time. We're cooled by the local water. We're across the street from a marina which is salt water and its entrance joins Burrows Bay. That's really cold salt water, as it's primarily ice melt from glaciers in the mountains to the east of us. The beach at a nearby park slopes very gently into the sea and I find that, by the time the water reaches my knees as I wade in, my feet have gone numb. Most serious swimmers wear wet-suits.

The only negative with our local climate is that the prevailing wind is from the south. As a result, it blows over 100 miles of similarly cold water to reach us. It can be clear, sunny and really nice-looking, but that wind (usually at least 15 mph) can really chill you if you aren't wearing a jacket.

Still, I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else. Unless something dire happens with my health, I expect to live here until I have to wear a wooden overcoat.

Frank D
29-Jul-2018, 08:50 PM
It seems strange seeing temperatures in Faranheit , not sure that's the right spelling, all our weather reports quote in centigrade, probably something to do with the EU? Got up to 30 c here which is 86f i think, and quite a few wild fires due to tinder dry conditions, nothing like the ones in california, however there was one nearby on friday, walking back from dog walk, i could smell and see smoke and as i turned into the cul-de-sac, the end house had flames shooting over the roof. To cut it short it appears he didn't totally put out the bbq and it set fire to large leylandii hedges, his wooden fence panels, a summer house he had in the garden, neighbours fence, just shows how fires can start in these dry conditions which ironically broke the following day.
29-Jul-2018, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 29-Jul-2018 11:09 PM by anacortesdamp.)
A quick way to do the "deg. C" to "deg. F" conversion is to multiply the "deg.C" by 2, then add 30. It's close enough for typical atmospheric temps.
Example: 20C x 2 = 40, +30 gets 70 F.

Frank D